Formula 1 Thread

ironbut

That race had a little of everything.

I really enjoyed the way the rain kept threatening with a few sprinkles every few laps. If you missed qualifying, there was a mad scramble for slicks with just a couple of minutes to spare. Mad house!

And there's something satisfying when a team principle (who's usually completely under control) loses it in front of the camera. Wolfe seems like a cool guy though.

I'm almost at the point that I feel sorry for the guys at Ferrari. It seems like whatever they do, it's the wrong move. I was pretty pissed at them for a while, now I can only scratch my head and wonder.

And Kvyat's death spiral is shocking. It's almost like Max stole Dany's monkey's paw or something! Crazy stuff.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It was very entertaining. I liked Lewis driving and cleverness trying to have Ricciardo taking over his team mate. Not that the team was loving that idea though :indra:

Excellent result for McLaren and Fernando Alonso, now they just have 3 teams ahead :palm: I wish they keep that fourth place as a team in the future, and this is a hint of 2017 season.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Mexico City was another exciting race.

I was bummed that it had to end but Mexico should be very proud to have put on such a world class show for a second year.

I'm glad to see the two point leaders playing nice(r) with each other too. 

In a sport where so many have died, I really hope that most of the bickering is for the camera's benefit. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Abu Dhabi,.. 

An emotional ending to a pretty exciting F1 season. 

Can't imagine the stress that Rosberg was under the whole race. 

And saying good bye to a couple of the gentlemen of the sport. Even though I've never been a big fan of Massa or Button, they have been cornerstones of the F1 family and I'll miss them and the little bits of their personal life we've had the privilege to peek into.

Even though it seems like the FIA and F1 management do their best to tarnish and ruin the sport, I'm still happy to call myself a fan.

• 2 weeks later...

After all it looks like Nico didn't stand stress that good. Who's going to replace him at Mercedes? A german newbie like Wehrlein, a seasoned one like Hulkenberg or a dinosaur like Vettel? Will they get an experienced good pilot like Alonso or a promising one like Verstappen? This is going to bring some good interest to 2017 season :prettyprincess:

Wow! 

I won't try to guess the factors that went into Nico's decision (I'll leave that to the racing press) but it must've been one hell of a bomb blast in the Mercedes camp!

It's pretty hard to imagine anyone who wouldn't want that seat but like you said, it should make for an interesting off season (not to mention the huge technical changes).

Been holding off on this thread for a while - I was way behind on the races... all caught up in 2 days (4 races).

Congrats to Nico -- ran a great season - and it went down to the last few laps - Hamilton tried all he could. I didn't hear the news about Nico leaving (good luck to him and the team). 

Brazil was incredible - the conditions - the racing of Verstappen (can see a future champion in there) - Crashout of Massa (and all the tears). 

Will be sad to see him go - and sad to see Button (I am a fan) go as well. 

Will be interesting to see the new cars/regulations for next year.  Overall a good season (not a classic) - but kept me watching - and kept me as a fan. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Lots of ripples from the Liberty Media takeover of F1.

I'm encouraged to see them putting Ross Brawn in charge of the "technical aspects" of the sport but we shall see the reality of these changes pretty soon.

I like what Ross is saying about simplifying the sport.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-4152906/Ross-Brawn-calls-simpler-competitive-F1.html

Manor went down, bankrupt. 

Only 20 cars per grid, that´s too little.

Alongside, there is no more small teams to promote young carrear, where various winners debuted in F1. Alonso & Webber (Minardi), Senna (Toleman), Verstappen, Vettel (Toro Rosso, taht is Minardi with a new brand), Barrichello (Jordan), Ricciardo (Hispania), Massa & Raikkonen (Sauber) are some names mentioned here http://flaviogomes.grandepremio.uol.com.br/2017/01/menos-uma-9/ in portuguese.

Maybe Bernie dropped the bone cause there was no more meat there to chew.

That sucks about Manor!

I guess it's no surprise though. 

IMHO the FIA or maybe even Liberty would do well to make sure that a bottom rung team like them is always fielding a cars. 

It must be very thankless to "hope" that both your entries don't finish in the last places but someone has to be there. 

I think that the recent success of Toro Rosso show how much a development team adds to the sport.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, here we go!

Winter testing on Monday and most of the teams have unveiled their cars. 

They look big and sound pretty mean (from the little I can tell from limited videos).

I have high hopes for the new season and the new management (but there's nothing new there).

I was looking at some of the info and thinking just how crazy it is that a team like Ferrari have over a thousand people working toward the new season and only 3 people will be allowed to drive those cars. 

It is one wacky way to sell software, and airline tickets and ...

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/10780862/sky-sports-f1-exclusive-the-mercedes-w08-on-track

Mercedes said that the new car would be able to get an 5 seconds improvement average on most tracks, depending on how behave the new tyres. That will put a lot more of stress and difficulty on the drivers. I like the new looks, the McLaren seems very nice in orange. We'll see how they go. I try to keep expectations low, but I can't help being hopeful for an interesting season.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Absorbine_Sr said:

Two good races so far, and today the news that Alonso will race in the Indy 500 in May. He'll miss Monaco, but I wonder if he is setting up the next phase of his career, ala Nigel Mansel.

He said he would like to win the Triple Crown, which only Graham Hill won, consisting of the F1 Championship, the Le Mans 24 Hours and Indianapolis 500 miles. Definitely something he should be able to do, and probably an incentive now that McLaren's car isn't competitive. I'll miss him at Monaco, it's one of the few races where the car isn't more important than the pilot.

• Like 1