Formula 1 Thread

ironbut

I thought the race sucked. Last week Hamilton took out Verstapen, and got a nothing penalty. This week Bottas took out both Red Bulls which will also be penalized in the next race. 

Super sloppy and random. Some brilliant defensive driving though. 

Glad to see Better take second place, then they disqualify him. F1 starting to lose credibility IMO. 

Edited by robm321

• 5 weeks later...

Cheers Kimi. He has always been a driver I liked (followed him in WRC as well). And the interviews, ah the interviews. I would laugh out loud at the super monotone, no pause for sentence structure, zero emotion responses. I am happy that he was a world champion at least once (should have been more). 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That is true.
However, there's not a lot else you can do against a car this fast on the straights and with DRS as well. It's just eating you up, race by race, it does not matter that much how hard you can quality, which is extremely frustrating.

It's not like Lewis didn't do things like that against Nico and vice versa - and they were teammates as well, so one would think that in that case, that is a lot less likely to happen (same situation may arrive from next year with a faster teammate, unless they've made some 'pre-agreements'...)
Now we have this confrontation with drivers in different teams, who are also fully against each other on all fronts, on and off track.

• Like 1

Human nature. Looks like if we, humans, don't make it personal and develop some degree of hatred, there can't be a tight competition. We yesterday could see that on Dr Marko too, and I agree, it's very likely that Lewis would behave like that, although I seriously doubt he would have deliberately slowed his car down to 3rd gear in a narrow place where the expected speed is 320Km/h. That could have ended way worse than it did.

I fear that Max will try by all means crashing on Lewis if his car can't outpace the Mercedes. The result next week :prettyprincess:

Edited by Torpedo

I think that's not necessarily true, Prost vs Lauda (1984) or Hunt vs Lauda (1976) or Häkkinen vs Schumacher, Alonso vs Schumacher, and I am sure there are lots of other examples they all their disagreements but also had a tremendous amount of respect for each other (even Prost and Senna reconciled which the documentary didn't really show).

I can't see these two liking each other, like, ever. All they care about is winning the championship, whatever the cost.

They were racing to the DRS line, he wanted to back pass him that way. It is unclear if the Mercedes team knew about this 'plan' and that is why they did not immediately tell Lewis that he should move forwards.

To be honest, it wouldn't have changed this outcome anyway.

Huch earlier in the season Max gave up a race win by giving up the position in the wrong part of the track, and the commentators said giving the position back instantly was being way too generous. The decision itself was also quite questionable considering in that case it was him getting pushed off the track to a corner where otherwise one just simply run wide without penalties, no consistency whatsoever during the season.

The Senna-Prost days have long one, even in 1997 Schumacher could not do that against Villeneuve without consequences, with cameras and sensors everywhere and teams ringing up Michael Masi and running to the stewards like schoolboys on every tiny detail, let's just say it is pretty difficult to do...

The issue is "some degree of hatred" :D Alonso vs Hamilton in McLaren was one of those moments, but nothing serious like yesterday happened. Schumacher was in a league of his own, I've never seen someone playing that dirty ever until yesterday, I'm guessing Lewis is a better driver than Jacques and was able to handle a couple of match balls that would have ended him with 0 points. IMHO pilots should antepose their competitors safety over their victory eagerness. Max isn't there yet.

When Hamilton threw Verstappen into the wall which started this whole thing, he probably wasn't putting safety over victory eagerness. 

I was a Hamilton fan for years. After that, I'm no longer a fan. That said, Verstappen is no saint. 

The season has been entertaining because of the drama. It's the best you could hope for in a pay to win sport. 

I can't remember when Lewis threw Max to a wall that was as dangerous as being in the middle of the track on 3rd gear at a place that 320Km/h are reached. They've fought and they've been in the edge of cleanliness a few times, but I don't remember anything like this. That said none of them is a saint :D, were they, they'd be feeding starving children using all their millions.

Well Verstappen ended up in the hospital, so it was kinda dangerous. Hamilton was given a 5 second penalty (because Mercedes owns F1), and won anyway. I'm not defending either racer. I'm just pointing out that Hamilton should lose your respect as well, no?

Here's the wreck from multiple angles, earlier this year.  

9 hours ago, robm321 said:

Well Verstappen ended up in the hospital, so it was kinda dangerous. Hamilton was given a 5 second penalty (because Mercedes owns F1), and won anyway. I'm not defending either racer. I'm just pointing out that Hamilton should lose your respect as well, no?

Here's the wreck from multiple angles, earlier this year.  

I saw that in its moment, but circumstances were very different, in that occasion Max put a lot of his own to end crashing, he knew that could happen. I think it's not the same testing brakes in front of your rival whose not earning points will lose him the championship, than not leaving enough room to be overtaken at a turn.

I didn't have a lot of respect for Lewis in the past but he's showing more brains and learning to control his instincts. I value that, he was unbearable when starting his career. In this Silverstone occasion he needed to show Max that he can't get away with everything he tries on his opponents. He's not losing my respect for that. Max has been doing a lot to scare his rivals so he can get away with any risky overtake or action in the verge of unfair that he tries.

That season McLaren wasn't fair with its pilots and Lewis was clearly favoured by Ron. Ok it was his playground...

That final race is going to be interesting nonetheless :D Wondering about the next season, hoping more homogeneity in the cars will bring out more of pilots hands. I'm guessing that in that scenario Max will shine even more, and quite possibly guys like Russell, Leclerc, Sainz, Norris and possibly Alonso will have some chances.

• Like 1