QUAD's new "FLOAT QA" headphones coming to the New York Show

faust3d

Yeh How to take an iconic and timeless design and trash it !

Apparently the new Float QA transformer greatly improves the sonic performance of the original float  

I thought it was impossible to make Floats even uglier than the originals but they've somehow managed to do it. Hats off to them. Now it's a fight between them and the TakeTs.

Edited by complin

No doubt the new transformers help but even off an amp the Jecklin's are lackluster.  That's a proper amp and not the steaming pile of crap Jecklin sold back in the day. 

I wonder how that fixed headband of Float's would fit to an extra large or extra small head.  8)

The PS2's never fit me properly but the PS0 did so fit issues aren't exactly new with this line.  :) 

That's what sucks about the Floats, there is nothing to adjust so you have to have a specific head size range. They should've spent their research money figuring out an adjustable design (eg K1000 style), it would have a bigger effect on sound and comfort than anything they tried. I think you would find the PS2s to sound better than the PS0s, they sound decent to me. Certainly not on the level of the Omegas, so the new design would have to be drastically different to come close. Doesn't look like it though, it really does look like someone like our resident Duggeh had a couple hours and a few quid to spare and cooked something up on the fly. Reserving judgment on the sound until I hear it, of course.

Edited by mypasswordis

Apparently the earpiece modules are made of plywood.  I dont know how the headband is fixed so we will have to see how durable they are.

I have to agree totally about the design, but Duggeh would have probably come up with something better  :rofl:

I cant understand why they did not adapt the original design and use some updated material, perhaps the tooling costs were too great.

Personally I prefer the PS2's and find them much more comfortable than the K1000's, its the pads on the temples that annoy me with the AKG's

The Jecklin's I would say are a very different presentation and concept to the Omegas rather than better or worse.  Having both I enjoy them for what they are, each have their own shortcomings

That's what sucks about the Floats, there is nothing to adjust so you have to have a specific head size range. They should've spent their research money figuring out an adjustable design (eg K1000 style), it would have a bigger effect on sound and comfort than anything they tried. I think you would find the PS2s to sound better than the PS0s, they sound decent to me. Certainly not on the level of the Omegas, so the new design would have to be drastically different to come close. Doesn't look like it though, it really does look like someone like our resident Duggeh had a couple hours and a few quid to spare and cooked something up on the fly. Reserving judgment on the sound until I hear it, of course.

Yeah I get how the temple pads on the K1ks could be uncomfortable for some. But then again, I've found that a lot of people don't even know that they slide out and how to adjust the toe in without destroying the locking mechanisms. It was an example of how a bigger earspeaker type design could incorporate adjustments, certainly there are other ways.

Also agreed on the very different presentations and shortcomings. Actually the PS2s have an extremely smooth presentation that I haven't heard on any other electrostatics, save for my 'stat speakers. Also the "sandwich" of materials they use for the driver (with the screens and the foam) changes the sound, which is why I want to get them refurb'd by the company themselves, to hear what they think it should sound like.

Edited by mypasswordis

I want a set but the price is a bit steep

Euro 1350 each for the headset and the transformer

Would love to try the new transformer on my Jecklin PS2's ::)  

The price is ridiculous, but I am still curious about these. I will make it a point to listen to them at the show.

You could just build your own transformer box.  The trafo's are 1:60-80 which is high but there is probably something out there. 

Edit:  I did some checking and Lundahl 9202 would work.  It's 23K/8 so 1:53 which is enough.  Should easily trump what ever transformer they are using... 

Edited by spritzer

Yes I suppose thats a possibility.  Perhaps cannibalise an existing PS2 box and substitute the larger transformers.  They look at least double the size of the originals 

Two of these cost $520 for the cheaper type or $900 for the AM so with tax, duty and postage probably $700/Euro 550

You could just build your own transformer box.  The trafo's are 1:60-80 which is high but there is probably something out there. 

Edit:  I did some checking and Lundahl 9202 would work.  It's 23K/8 so 1:53 which is enough.  Should easily trump what ever transformer they are using... 

Edited by complin

• 2 weeks later...

Could be worth getting hold of some internal images and details of the internals of the new transformer box 

I think there are a couple of people who have bought them on the other place Kiertijai and MuppetFace