Shoe-Case

VPI

CJ - I have really wide feet too, about one size shorter than yours. I have liked the Rockport dress models for stand-around-all-day-on-a-hard floor use. I have a couple pair that are over twenty years old and have had a few new soles.

And I just scored an almost-new perfect pair in perfect condition in the pet rescue thrift store in Wilton Manors for eleven bucks! I thought the odds against ever finding shoes in a thrift store were a meeelion-to-one. Who knew?  (I guess gay guys give better stuff to thrift stores.)

I am going to have to change my review of the Peal & Co. Shoes. Wore them today on a tour of a 1m sq ft Pharma facility and had zero comfort issues. I already ordered a pair of slip ons and a different brown oxford from Peal & Co.

• 4 years later...

I guess it depends mostly which direction you are talking about them being tight.  You will get some width out of most leather shoes of any quality. How much and how painful it will be depends on the hide used, tanning process, and shoe construction.  Standard stuff I have not had stretch out on me more than desired.  If your toes are pinched, that will not get better.  Try different socks.  I can dial in a near perfect fit for all of my leather shoes by matching the socks, and it helps with sliding too depending on the insole.

Edited by cetoole
  • Like 3

You can try filling the shoes with ziplock bags 3/4s filled with water and then sticking them in the freezer.  A boot is going to be difficult for a cobbler to stretch, as the stretchers likely won't fit through the ankle.  I've had shoes stretched half a size in width, with no cosmetic issues, but that has been calf dress shoes.  I haven't had much stretch, from wear, in quality shoes, especially with shell.  The leather will soften, however. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mypasswordis said:

Wearing thin socks works for now and I should be able to wear slightly thicker socks as it breaks in. Thanks, guys. Advice on conditioners and polish for Chromexcel?

A neutral leather conditioner cream would work just fine, for basic maintenance.  Regular shoe polish is likely to build up on the surface, so I would avoid it.  A lot of people swear by Saphir, but I have had great results with cheap-as-chips Meltonian on shell (I have several pairs of shell shoes though, admittedly, they are all no. 8), so I would expect it to work great on Chromexcel, too. You can also use colored cream: Chromexcel isn't as scratch resistant as shell, of course, so maybe a colored cream is a good idea, if you want them looking "new-ish."  Then again, the pull-up is one of the charms of Chromexcel, so, again, I say start with a neutral cream, and see how that does it for you.  

On 3/27/2013 at 9:15 PM, grawk said:

I have a couple pairs of dress brogue boots I need redone, if I ever find a cobbler

It's been four years, so I don't know if you still need it, but I sent a pair of late 60s J&M full-brogue black wingtips to NuShoe (a cheap eBay find, rare in 12EEE), and they came back in wonderful kit.  If I didn't have a pair of Church's in black, I'd wear them often (and if I didn't have a pair of Bally Goodyear welted wingtips, in black, I'd wear the Church's).  Nothing wrong with the vintage J&Ms, the Church's just fit me better (perfectly compared to very well, and the Bally pair is even better, and are better shoes than either).  It wasn't cheap (I did the executive package), but they did an excellent job. Included shoe bags and trees cut for the specific pair of shoes. 

Edited by EdipisReks1
  • Like 1