HTPC rec?

I'm looking to hook up an HTPC for streaming from the NAS and watching youtube/streams.

It must be able to decode 1080p and DTS/Dolby.

Ideally, it would run something like XBMC or another linux based system to speed up boot time.

Budget is $200.

Maybe an Acer Revo?  Apple TV 1?

I couldn't recommend the appletv 1 at this point.  It's 720p output, and generally less useful than the functionality you get out of the box on current generation bluray players.  They're also getting pretty old at this point.

Colin, if you're using it with itunes, it works great displayless, either controlled remotely via the apple remote app on ios or by redirecting audio to it via itunes.

it works great displayless, either controlled remotely via the apple remote app on ios or by redirecting audio to it via itunes.

I was thinking of using the ATV as a standalone (non-streaming, hardwired HD) iTunes music server. I have a Touch to use with the Remote app.

Do I need a real monitor-type display to get the Apple TV into some mode before using the Remote app, or can I use it from power up? Demo vids online seem to show it in a controller mode only to make menu selections on a TV.

Also, is the ATV (latest gen) optical-out limited to 16/48?

I think you need to be hooked to a tv long enough to add your home sharing information at a minimum.  I haven't checked to see if the current one can output higher than 48, or if it transcodes on the fly, but I believe I've played higher rez audio through it.  

I still have my original atv 160gb just to take on vacations for movies and music, but at this point, streaming to the newer ones is how we end up doing it anyway, because of the netflix advantage.

If you just need a music streamer receiver an Apple airport express works fine also. I just call up my main library with the music app on my ipad using home sharing and then redirect the output to either the airport express in the office or the Apple TV in the bedroom.

Edited by morphsci