DSD DAC

Dusty Chalk

<p>Since Justin's thread wasn't really about a DSD DAC, I thought I'd continue the discussion here.&nbsp; I'm far too lazy to split out the discussion from there and point it here, so I'll just point to <a href="">it there from here</a>.&nbsp; Of particular interest is Torpedo's post <a href="">here</a>.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>So...seems the cheapest points of entry are the <a href="http://www.teac.com/product/ud-501/">Teac</a>, a <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Korg-Ds-dac-10-Digital-Analog-Converter/dp/B009YD4NVQ">Korg</a>, the pre-outs from a <a href="http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/VSX-70">Pioneer receiver</a>, and maybe perhaps others, haven't found them yet (most either on <a href="http://www.audiostream.com/content/dsd-ready-dacs-short-list">this list</a> or derived therefrom).</p>

Please discuss. I'm leaning towards the Teac, myself. Even though I'm fond of Pioneer, I just don't like the form factor as a DAC. However, if I can convince myself to use it as a receiver as well, that'd be different.

List:

Benchmark DAC2 HGC

Chord QuteHD

Fostex HP-A8C
Korg DS-DAC-10

Matrix X-Sabre

Mytek Stereo192-DSD
Oppo BDP-105
Pioneer VSX-70
Playback Designs MPS-5
Teac UD-501

EDIT: He beat me.

Al, I and about 40 others heard a problematic comparison between live and the TEAC, Mytek, Benchmark and Playback-Designs (MPx5) DACs. I believe thoughts were posted elsewhere and Stereophile did a silly write up. The PD was crazy good (close to the 45 minute earlier live performance), but difficult to make definitive conclusions without more testing for the others. If that wasn't possible, I'd go DAC2. From the few sample tracks (take this all with a pile of salt), the TEAC and Mytek made the DSD files sound better than the 24/96 PCM (and there were problems with the tests here too). Is this because they specialized in DSD and potentially PCM was sacrificed or that the Benchmark treated both formats with same attention? No matter the Benchmark was more impressive especially in staging with PCM or DSD. If you need warmth though maybe the Mytek (Cookie may have hinted that she thought the Stereo192 & DAC2 came down to system synergy - except on staging). Came away least impressed with the TEAC, which going in I was eyeing. Then again the PD so destroyed the rest the other choices seemed compromised. Been a long time since I was so impressed with a piece of gear.

EDIT 2: Here's the Stereophile/Audiostream summation (opinions not universally held and some problems with tests listed in the comments):

Guitar Sings as DSD DACs Shoot it Out

http://www.audiostream.com/content/guitar-sings-dsd-dacs-shoot-it-out

Edited by blessingx

Goddamnit, editor just fucked up my first post.  I'll fix it later.

I will try and keep a list of "contender" DSD DACs -- I.E. those that are discussed -- those that aren't won't be on the list.  I added the Oppo, the Benchmark, and the Playback Designs, I'll go back and add the Mytek later.  But most of them can be found by clicking the AudioStream.com list.

I forgot about the Oppo -- since I might be getting that anyway, and since I am already familiar with the sound of at least one of its predecessors, it's high on my list.

You may have noticed that all my others were <US$1K, I.E. "cheap" in the audiophile parlance.  But this thread isn't just for me, so will be happy to keep tabs on any others that are discussed.

Ric, I presume you mean the MPS-5, since that's what I found by Googling.

For a little more than the Teac, the Matrix X-Sabre is an option @ $1100.  Certainly FOTM-ish, but can handle a lot of files (including DXD).  I picked one up, too new to tell how good it'll be, and haven't tried DSD files yet.  Bringing it to NY meet today, will have some files up to max 24/192 Rez....

Edited by skullguise

there is a middle range Playback designs unit

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/85620/Playback_Designs-Music_Playback_System_MPS-3-Disc_Players

uses phillips transport

And the DAC only PD MPD-3 is $6500.  I'm not exactly sure what the internal difference is between the higher and lower models, but the 3 series does not have the outboard USBX transport.  Still, the 3 series each play 24/385 PCM and 6.1 (double) DSD files over USB.

Weren't we all gonna peer pressure Shelly into vinyl also though? 

No, we are not.   :)

I have never liked the DAC1 and I was really quite impressed with the DAC2 HGC on PCM and DSD.  Unless you need preamp capability then saving $200 is good.

One should still be able to use it as a preamp, as long as you are using the DAC, right?  I like having $200.

Buy it, I am interested to hear your impressions as I might have to pick one up for myself.

I was hoping you were going to buy one and then sell it to me cheap.   ;)

I went to Benchmark to order one however, I got a security warning (expired certificate) when I tried to check out.  Since I am paranoid, I decided not to continue (and email the Benchmark people about the problem).   Sigh.   I guess I'll wait until BH/AudioAdvisor or someone else has it or they update their certificate. 

By the way, if people are interested, I emailed Benchmark and asked them if one could use the RCA and XLR output simultaneously.  They replied very quickly with the following.

"All 3 set of outputs can be used simultaneously without any loss of quality.. Each output has its own output stage, independent of the others."

Edited by shellylh

Shelly, I ordered from Benchmark directly before.  Never had a problem with security, but I see your apprehension.

That DAC2 D sure looks tempting.  All three outputs at the same time?  That has to be a first to me.  Very good choice to add that second RCA output set.  I am thinking Balanced to power amp, RCA to sub, and RCA to head amp.

If anyone gets one, I'd be interested in thoughts.  It really seems like they put a lot of thought into their implementation of that Sabre chip, as the literature is a lot more than just a bit and sample rate wankfest.

Edit: And you can still use it as a DAC with volume control, and it seems to be a real step above the DAC1 in that regard.

Edited by roadtonowhere08