DSD DAC

Dusty Chalk

Shelly, I ordered from Benchmark directly before.  Never had a problem with security, but I see your apprehension.

Upon inspection, I see that there certificate expired 5 days ago so they probably just didn't update it yet. I am not too worried, just trying to be cautious nowadays.

Just wanted to comment about the Myted 192DSD. As you know at other forum there's people who didn't like it at all, although I didn't find all those nasties, mainly harsh treble and lean bass. IMO the thing sounds in the detailed studio-stuff side of things, but pretty enjoyable to these aging ears.

None the less, I read there also about a setting which may be changed, which has some repercussion on sound quality. It's just changing 4 jumpers position to lower the DAC chip output, I guess that by lowering its reference voltage. This lowers the analog output too. Since I found the "normal" output a bit hot compared to normal 2V RMS output devices, even compared to the DA-11 set at 3V RMS (Bidat's output level), I decided to give the setting a try. It makes for a very welcome difference. I'd say the benefit is mostly in the bass, which becomes bolder, more natural, then producing the effect of damping a bit the perceived detail and eventually the "trebleness".

The Mytek still has a higher output level than the Lavry set at 2V RMS output. I don't think that at the default setting it's clearly overloading the amp's input, but it's possible the overloaded part is the DAC's PS hence producing an inferior sound quality.

The Benchmark DAC2 was among my other options, but since I didn't like the DAC-1 very much, I thought giving the Mytek a try was worth it. Either way the FW connection is a very welcome feature in this current setup. The DSD thing is fun too, but I'm rather hesitant that playing DSD rips in its native format has any benefit compared to a well processed 24/88 file from it.

Edited by Torpedo

I've been interested in the DAC 2 as well, as I've wanted to replace the Calyx with a DAC/pre unit.  I am encouraged by the single decent review on it that suggests they've fixed what many people didn't like about the sound of the DAC 1, but also because having owned the Calyx I know that good results can be had with a well-designed Sabre-based DAC, though in my case with the use of a better USB to S/PDIF converter.

• 2 weeks later...

Talked to Wyred4Sound and they are coming out with a new DAC with DSD capable and with better sound for around $2500.  Those with an old DAC-2 can also send in their unit for a DSD upgrade for around $350 and DSD+audio upgrade for around a $900.  Chris told me that they should have more details about the new DAC & possible upgrade at the end of this week.

By the way, for those who may be interested in the DAC2 D, Benchmark's certificate has been updated.

Does that mean there's a new owner? ;)

Also in todays news - World’s Highest-Resolution Master Recording for New Linn Release – Cleveland-based Five/Four Productions (featuring tech experts from Telarc’s former audiophile slant) has captured the Boston Baroque directed by Martin Pearlman in Haydn’s Nelson Mass and Symphony No. 102 using 11.2 MHz direct stream digital technology. Five/Four Productions sees this as a quantum leap in hi-res recording technology. It takes the one-bit DSD technology used for mastering the best SACDs from 2.8 MHz to 11.1 MHz, resulting in a recording 256 times the resolution of a standard CD. Five/Four Productions has won 16 GRAMMY Awards plus Japan’s Grand Prix Award. The SACD and download is tentatively planned for release in October.

Edited by blessingx

It's always about the implementation. ES9018 is one of the popular choices for DSD playback and notoriously hard to implement so that it doesn't sound like a bunch of hornets playing sitars in an empty grain silo.

I am told that the main hurdle of properly designing the IV stage for 9018 is the high output current for the summed channels when operating in stereo- 16mA per channel or so. Also ESS have a bad rep of being very secretive about any data they give out on their products. I have read at least one report of the given data being inaccurate or downright erroneous.

However when done right the ES9018 is capable of distortion figures I have never seen anywhere else. However I'm afraid that the level of construction quality needed for squeezing such performance is nigh unattainable by common DIY efforts. Think- 6 layer PCB's and all SMD construction.

This handy spreadsheet has head-to-head features of many of the current DSD capable DACs, as well as content type and sourcing comparison of the major DSD download sites.  If not comprehensive, it is a good overview of the current scene.

• Like 1