DSD DAC

Dusty Chalk

You do hear it every time you use a DSD dac.

My point is how good would it sound using only a low pass filter? 

I can take a household needle and make a cone from paper to play back a vinyl record too, but it'll sound like shit, so what's the point.

For those with DACs supporting Double DSD (aka DSD2x, aka 128x DSD, aka 5.6MHz DSD) and want something to test with - Blue Coast just did their first recording at that rate. Buy the DSD DFF at the below and forward your receipt to [email protected] before May 31 and get Double DSD download links.

http://bluecoastrecords.com/store/keith-greeninger/special-event-20

And if anyone here happened to purchase a DAC2 recently... yo, Shelly...

In conjunction with Benchmark and their support of DSD audio we are offering the following Music Coupon....

For $100, you can receive a $200 Music Coupon... yep that's 2 for the price of 1. All you need to do is send us a copy of your receipt of purchase or the serial number of your Benchmark DAC2!

This is a wonderful DAC that plays DSD without conversion to PCM. If you are interested to purchase the Benchmark DAC2 or are interested in the $200 Music Coupon, click here and send us an email. Click here to send email

For more information on the Benchmark DAC2 please read here.

http://bluecoastrecords.com/benchmark-dac2-hgc

OK. Looks like an LME part (maybe 47920 or 49990) on I/V, NP0 caps, SMD (thin film? I hope at least that...) resistors. Not optimal, but better than what I've seen in some other cases. Great form factor, though.

According to this review:  http://everythingaudionetwork.blogspot.com/2012/10/exclusive-first-review-benchmark-media.html

National Semiconductor LME49860 op-amps (which can easily handle low impedance loads) are used throughout the audio path

/threadjack

Perhaps it's time to sell those LCD-2s and the Bryston BHA-1 that has been collecting dust since I got the DSHA-1...and use the proceeds for the HD800s. I gotta stop buying new stuff before the old stuff has been sold...

/unthreadjack

^Yeah, Shelly, how are you liking the Benchmark? :)

I think I have an article about that Luxman and want to give it a read.  It looks like teh seks.  The Playback Designs folks are going to unveil their new IPS-3 (Integrated Playback System 3), and all in one DSD dac/preamp/amp/masseuse at the Newport Audio Show next week.  Should be pretty damn interesting.

With the current state of the yen, the DA-06 is only ~$2495 on PJ.

The IPS-3 was at CES.  There was no official announcement beforehand as Jonathan wasn't sure it would be ready by then.  With the new generation of Devialet products (including the first two models at more reasonable prices) and the new Wadia Intuition it will have some competition in the swiss-army-knife category that seems to be emerging.

Edited by Tari

The Playback Designs folks are going to unveil their new IPS-3 (Integrated Playback System 3), and all in one DSD dac/preamp/amp/masseuse at the Newport Audio Show next week.  Should be pretty damn interesting.

That could be a big winner for desktop system folks like me, who are always looking to cut down on footprint and cable clutter. Ima check that shit out!