DIY cable gallery

Grand Enigma

Look! It's a crapPod dock!

you make those too now? lovely design... I assume that the bend radius isn't small enough so you can't use it with a stacked ipod / amp? (although it probably doesn't matter much if you're expanding your "portable" rig to include a bulky amp and other junk... might as well go for the largest footprint possible while you're at it.)

I must say that is a great name. :D

you make those too now? lovely design... I assume that the bend radius isn't small enough so you can't use it with a stacked ipod / amp? (although it probably doesn't matter much if you're expanding your "portable" rig to include a bulky amp and other junk... might as well go for the largest footprint possible while you're at it.)

I must say that is a great name. :D

Thought about it to spite someone but not sure I really care enough to...

I do make these now however ;)

EAPen.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

wow you guys are something else! I put a new cable on my personal cans and post pictures that do not have any branding on them at all, nor are they on my website and I get comments like this, yet almost all the pictures in this thread are posted by Grand Enigma without a single comment. I don't care if you guys want to call things how you think you see them but at least be fair about things.

wow you guys are something else! I put a new cable on my personal cans and post pictures that do not have any branding on them at all, nor are they on my website and I get comments like this, yet almost all the pictures in this thread are posted by Grand Enigma without a single comment. I don't care if you guys want to call things how you think you see them but at least be fair about things.

Its a joke Jacob. ;)

I know it's a joke, I just wasn't in the mood this morning... right before I saw this my puppy chewed on the cable on my Beyers... so I was pissed from that. When I was able to do a further inspection I realized that I caught her fast enough that there wasn't any damage so no real harm done

• 3 weeks later...

Ever wonder what was inside that insanely expensive Zu mobius headphone cable. Well, I did and considering that I'm converting my headphone rig over to balanced and wasn't about to shell out the current asking price of ~$400 for a balanced version I decided to do it myself.

Step 1: hack off existing 1/4" plug.

89214048.jpg

Wow, that's a lot of conductors for a headphone cable. A total of 8 w/ 3 different sizes, all silver plated copper.

Step 2: deal w/ scratchy techflex and something else...

89214049.jpg

Hmm, evidently this cable is shielded. In fact the shield and the two largest conductors are all tied to ground at the plug. Seems like an awful lot of effort since headphone cables have never been known to pick up noise that I'm aware of.

Step 3: expose a length of wire to work with

89214050.jpg

At this point I figured which conductors went with which connector and so on. The + signal is carried by two smaller (28 ga) conductors for each channel and the - is carried by a single (24ga) conductor. The two 18ga conductors act as another shield I guess since they aren't tied to the Senn plugs, only the 1/4" plug. Again, pretty odd construction but hey I like the way it sounds so I should really stop complaining.

Step 4: attach new 4-pin XLR

89214051.jpg

That's it, all done. Well, in truth I made a matching balanced to single ended adapter but that's really boring so I didn't bother taking a picture of it. :)