DIY cable gallery

Grand Enigma

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I am working on a project that has no built in strain relief. Is there some suggested way to perhaps use an adhesive on the PCB and soldered connections, but allow the larger jacket to still rotate, or should I just fill the housing with adhesive and immobilize the cable within the housing?

is there a recommended adhesive to do this sort of thing?

CD174B07-F71F-44EE-A16E-E629D0314473.jpeg

• 8 months later...
On 2/21/2021 at 2:36 PM, luvdunhill said:

Hi! I have _a lot_ of speaker cable on hand - all DH Labs - Q-10 ($25/ft), T-14 ($10/ft) and Odyssey ($4/ft).

I am going to be making up a couple sets of cables and would be happy to make some extra sets - I use nice sleeving I use on my cables and can work with you on termination.

I have a 12’ pair and 6’ pair of the Q-10. This can be terminated for biwire (so there are four wires)

I have two 10’ pair of the T-14, but it can only be a single run (two wires) - but could do this as a “shotgun” biwire if someone wanted both sets (internal to a single sleeve or separate sleeves). 

I can’t find the Odyssey - but will keep looking for it.

I need to order more sleeving though.

• 7 months later...

I made these over the last week.  The blue pair is Cardas 2 x 21.5 AWG.  The white pair is 2 x 24 AWG SPC mil spec from navships. 

The navships cable is a step up from the Mogami that I was using.  Cost was $35  After a week I really like it but found it to sound bright.

The Cardas is a step beyond the navships cable.  Sounds neutral to me.  No harsh highs or bloated lows.  After 5 hours I'm liking this one the best out of all three.  Cost was $65

cardas xlr.jpg

navships xlr.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/24/2021 at 2:40 AM, sbelyo said:

I made these over the last week.  The blue pair is Cardas 2 x 21.5 AWG.  The white pair is 2 x 24 AWG SPC mil spec from navships. 

The navships cable is a step up from the Mogami that I was using.  Cost was $35  After a week I really like it but found it to sound bright.

The Cardas is a step beyond the navships cable.  Sounds neutral to me.  No harsh highs or bloated lows.  After 5 hours I'm liking this one the best out of all three.  Cost was $65

cardas xlr.jpg

navships xlr.jpg

is the mill spec cable silver or silver plated?

personally I have always found cables which are silver or silver plated to be bright, shouty and lack ambience. I only use un-plated copper cables. I use Cardas chassis wire for my builds and use Cardas golden reference for speaker, power and some inter-connects. Van den hull first is not bad but I think it lacks a bit of bass - its cheaper second hand than the Cardas. I even find silver plated/solid silver fuses to be bright.

Edited by jamesmking