CanLanta 2013

MexicanDragon

In an attempt to get this thread back on track, here's my brief gear impressions:

I think I liked Purk's bass heavy R-10's more than I recall liking other R-10's but their low-end response still isn't deep enough for my tastes.  The "new" beyer dt 880 600ohm are better than the old beyer dt 880.  The beyer T5p were surprisingly good but not $1400 good.  I'd still take HE-500 and LCD-2 over them.  The HE-400s are a far cry from the HE-500s and while I get that the HE-400s are inexpensive for planar's I'd take a pair of Senn 650s over them without question.

Purk had a wyred4sound dac and a chinese dac (forget the name but it had the same sabre dac chip as the w4s dac):  The wyred4sound dac was easily the better of the two, far more controlled throughout the range.  The chinese dac was top heavy and the treble was often offensive.

Purk was also nice enough to bring the L3000's with him to the airport when he dropped me off so I could get a few minutes with them.  I still really love the L3000's their sound always draws me in.

The Headamp BHSE + Stax SR-009's is the best amp/headphone combination I've ever heard.  Enough so that I'm going to sell everything I have and get that combo.

Oh one more thing, the Stax 717 - why Stax makes some of the other crap they make instead of this is beyond me.  It was surprisingly good with everything from the Lambda Pro's (I think that's what they were) to the SR-009's

In an attempt to get this thread back on track, here's my brief gear impressions:

I think I liked Purk's bass heavy R-10's more than I recall liking other R-10's but their low-end response still isn't deep enough for my tastes.

Yes, the R10 will always be lighter in bass than other phones even with the bass heavy model. I really shortchanged it during the meet driving it out ofLarocco Headcode Dual mono. I used that amp for the sake of the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 & Matrix X-Sabre DAC shootout due its dual RCA inputs option. The R10 is capable of better bass when operating in balanced mode out of an amp like Headamp GS-X MKII or my Gilmore Balanced Reference. I have GS-X MKII on loan right now from Justin and honestly speaking...the GS-X MKII + R10 is almost as good as the BHSE + SR009 IMO.

Purk had a wyred4sound dac and a chinese dac (forget the name but it had the same sabre dac chip as the w4s dac):  

The wyred4sound dac was easily the better of the two, far more controlled throughout the range.  The chinese dac was top heavy and the treble was often offensive.

Thanks for participating. Maxvla was kind enough to send me the Matrix X-Sabre for us to try. This Chinese DAC is 32 bit 352.8 & DSD & DXD capable and retailed at $1100 including EMS shipment from China. For those who participate in the DAC Shootout, Switching left on the input engaged the W4S DAC-2 while selecting right was the Matrix X-Sabre. I think in total, 8 people preferred the left DAC (W4S) compared to 3 on the right DAC (X-Sabre). The W4S won the shootout I think. Both DACs were connected to the V-Link II USB Bridge.

Purk was also nice enough to bring the L3000's with him to the airport when he dropped me off so I could get a few minutes with them.  I still really love the L3000's their sound always draws me in.

Glad you enjoy it Todd!

The Headamp BHSE + Stax SR-009's is the best amp/headphone combination I've ever heard.  Enough so that I'm going to sell everything I have and get that combo.

Oh one more thing, the Stax 717 - why Stax makes some of the other crap they make instead of this is beyond me.  It was surprisingly good with everything from the Lambda Pro's (I think that's what they were) to the SR-009's

Congrats on your up & coming BHSE Todd. Have you placed an ordered for the SR-009 from price japan? The wait time is more than 3 months I think. Yeah, the 717 is an excellent amp. It is a KGSS after all with less exotic parts. Beside my Stax SR009, I also brought both the Lambda Pro & Signature to the meet.

Edited by purk

Coming from the HC auditory "proletariat", the SR 009, Blue Hawaii, merge, produced the most accurate repro of sound ive heard. But to this day the R 10 are the only hp that (subj) seemed to "vanish' leaving me with only "music'. I was devoid of a tangible device...only music traveling through my frontal lobe..

Coming from the HC auditory "proletariat", the SR 009, Blue Hawaii, merge, produced the most accurate repro of sound ive heard. But to this day the R 10 are the only hp that (subj) seemed to "vanish' leaving me with only "music'. I was devoid of a tangible device...only music traveling through my frontal lobe..

Trav meet Purk....Purk meet Trav. Brothers by another mother, weaned on R10s. ;)