The Multi Amp aka Dynalo Mk2

spritzer

Looks very impressive Kerry. Are the switchers MW IRMs? If so, I am working on something similar albeit with a more modular approach (PSU, post-reg and amp on separate boards) :-)

I obviously can't see the PCB layout details, but if you are using two identical PSUs, why not stick with a pair of either the TPS7A47 or TPS7A33 regulators? That might also make it possible to use the TO-220 version of the TPS7A33 as well and then the whole board should be hand-solderable (?)

//UFN

Edited by UFN

The switchers are Mean Well IRM-10-24.  I'm going to add pins for the regulator Joachim is showing above.  They have the negative regulator as well.

I just happened to go onto AMB's website and he is also working on a set of small TO-220 boards for the +/- regulators using the same TI chips.  Seems like this is going to be a popular option :)

Ok. I need to add labels, but otherwise I think I've got this where I want it to be. 

I changed out the power switch for a thinner one and change the power led to a through hole.  Also, I went back to a 4 pin XLR jack for the output.  Since I also have a 1/4" phono jack, this should not be an issue.

I've also added additional patterns for the +/- regulators from ebay as well as standup heatsinks for them.

I don't have a specific chassis identified, but the FPE custom enclosures will work.  I'll likely mill mine myself.

Any other thoughts?

Dynalo Top F-4.jpg

Dynalo Top B-4.jpg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Mister X said:

Is there a chassis ground somewhere that I am not seeing?

I'm in if you're looking for people to build prototypes.

I'd love the help :D

I'll PM you.

Edit: It will have a chassis ground. I've got a couple of ideas.

Here's some renderings I did of the chassis.  Pretty cool...

Dynalo_Assembly_2016-Jul-09_08-37-57AM-000_CustomizedView3092589013.jpg

Dynalo_Assembly_2016-Jul-09_08-39-08AM-000_CustomizedView35632292150.jpg

Dynalo_Assembly_2016-Jul-09_08-41-41AM-000_CustomizedView19379171043.jpg

Dynalo_Assembly_2016-Jul-09_08-44-48AM-000_CustomizedView2629926220.jpg

Edited by Kerry
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Arthrimus said:

I would love to build one of these, but I don't own any dynamic cans... 

You know that there IS a solution for that problem.

But it's a slippery slope

looking at the board now, its an astounding job.  and its only 2 layers. infinitely better than the "professional" crap

Edited by kevin gilmore
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, kevin gilmore said:

You know that there IS a solution for that problem.

But it's a slippery slope

looking at the board now, its an astounding job.  and its only 2 layers. infinitely better than the "professional" crap

But I already feel like I'm careening at light speed down an equally slippery slope over on this side of the hill. I don't think my wallet could handle both! :blink:

Maybe I'll just pick up an hd600 and end it there... Yeah, that won't be too bad. But then there's the hd800, and all of those orthos... Shit.

1 hour ago, nopants said:

I'd love to try my hand at building one, though it sounds a bit beyond hand tools

Same, but looking at the board I don't see anything that would be too hard to do by hand, it would just require patience. I've soldered tsop32 flash packages by hand before and it doesn't look like there's anything on this board smaller than that.

Edited by Arthrimus