The Multi Amp aka Dynalo Mk2

spritzer

That's a possibility for the next round.  The ones from ebay have solder mask on the back.  We're going to be dissipating under 1W for each sink and I think it will be ok, but it is a question that will be answered shortly :)

I took a look at the ones that AMB is doing sig78xx/79xx.  I'm unclear whether he has mask on the back side.  Lots of good data on the forum regarding temperature rise for various power levels / heat sinks.

• Like 1

I took a look at the ones that AMB is doing sig78xx/79xx.  I'm unclear whether he has mask on the back side. 

Assuming "the production boards" are the same as the σ78 prototype I have....there is solder mask on the back side but the vias are exposed.

Which could cause a short if an insulating pad were not used and the (proposed) exposed thermal pad on the PCB is grounded and extends past the outline of the TPS7A4701/TPS7A3301 regs.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the parts in this afternoon and had a chance to start stuffing.  Here's the back of the board.  A couple of things wrong.  The holes for the IEC inlet are a bit small.  I can drill them out since all the traces are on the bottom.  The other more important issue is I used the wrong size QFN-20 pattern for the regulators.  Luckily I have an off-board option that I'll be using on this version.  I ordered a couple of sig78/79 regulators from AMB's site.

I can test the rest of the board so I will continue stuffing.  Should be done tomorrow night.

IMAG00689 (2).jpg

• Like 11

Just joined this site specifically because of this amp. This project simply looks awesome. I would really like to build the mini version with SMPS but I don't trust myself to solder surface mount components yet so I'll probably end up doing the original version that started this thread.

I have a couple questions. Is there any measurements posted for this amp? Is there a performance hit when using the Dynalo SuSy in a single ended configuration vs a basic Dynalo?

I am looking at kgdynalobal5 and kgdynalobal9. Version 9 looks like an SMD version and version 5 is a through-hole version. Was the SMD version developed because parts are scarce for the through-hole version? Do I assume that performance is nearly identical for both versions?