The Multi Amp aka Dynalo Mk2

spritzer

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had a great time the last couple of weeks building the mini Dynalo designed by Kerry.

Here is the Dynalo with a finished (almost) board. Side panels from Modushop, internal height 40 mm. Front and rear panel are copper clad boards milled myself and the top cover is  an aluminum net for better ventilation.

IMG_1502.JPG

Now, this amplifier turned to be a very nice one, so I started to modify it for my own personal preferences. I want a small portable amplifier to be used in my garden under a cheery tree - resulting in this.

_MG_1523.JPG

Switching power supplies, all connectors at the rear panel and some other stuff not needed removed to give room for Raspberry Pi 3 with a HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro on top. Changed front panel (easily done with a mill and copper clad board) and rear panel has two holes for connectors for the batteries and a wlan antenna.

Today I got a heat sink for the output transistors. Below is a picture showing them, they are just resting on some soft pad – have to figure out the best way to get them  fastened. I don’t think the sinks are needed but they are very much preferable.

_MG_1526.JPG

Many thanks to Kerry for an excellent work.

Edited by JoaMat
  • Like 5

I want to add that I use the Raspberry with piCorePlayer and a iPad with iPeng and Squeezepad apps.

I’m very happy with the piCorePlayer and the iPad apps - Internet radio (I listen to BBC3 HD every day) Tidal, ripped things on hard disk, Met Opera, Berliner Philarmoniker.  Pretty magic, isn’t it? Everything works terrific until batteries fade.

Are there any gerber files for the rev-c board that AMB used to make/have? I've been looking to build a dynalo and I really like the one board solution, but I can't find them anywhere. Would it be easier to just find the version9.zip pcb's somewhere and go from there?

Dan Gardner was the one who actually did the Rev. b and Rev. c boards. He isn't on head-case, but you might be able to contact him on that other site (you know the one). I don't think I ever had the gerbers and I don't know if Kevin ever did or not. Dan might still have them. I think his user name there was dgardner, but I could be mis-remembering.

On August 12, 2016 at 7:30 AM, kevin gilmore said:

I have had the previous version running at 300ma on now for at least 6 months 24/7 no problems

Does this version run the same, or does it dissipate more?  I'd like to build this small one but don't want to get in deep until the the heat/sinking is figured out (if sinking is really needed).

2 hours ago, Pars said:

He isn't on head-case, but you might be able to contact him on that other site (you know the one). I don't think I ever had the gerbers and I don't know if Kevin ever did or not. Dan might still have them.

Got it. Honestly, I'm now just looking for the easiest way to get the pcb, since I'm rather excited reading so much to getting to work on the project. Thanks for the help!