Openly gay boys finally allowed in the Boy Scouts!

swt61

Oh, finally! Very much in favor. It became a sticking point when my son joined scouts this year because all his best friends were in it. (I actually didn't know that much about all this until after he joined. I was never interested in scouts as a kid and just didn't pay attention, ignorance is bliss, I guess.) I thought about whether to have a big talk about this issue (he's only eight), decided not to, but thought about how I'd handle it if the issue was raised at some point. It never came up, maybe because I live in a community that is very LGBT friendly. Or maybe because it just never came up. Who knows ... but I'm very glad about this. I feel better about having him in scouts and better knowing I won't need to discuss one of the problems we have with the organization that he quite likes.

Now ... the Catholic Church ... I know that conversation is coming eventually.

Edited by jvlgato

As a gay agnostic I think the chances of me being a Scout leader in my lifetime are pretty small. A gay atheist is surely doomed.

Maybe I should just start a gay scouting organization? Rainbow Scouts?

We could teach things like what knots to best tie your BF/GF up with. What color neckerchief truly goes well with a uniform.

There could be merit badges for things like shopping, dancing, grooming...

And best of all, we could celebrate things like Cher appreciation day.

I'm fired up! Who wants to join? :D 

X2 

I found the first vid very touching. The SNL vid had me laughing so hard that my dog looked at me with total confusion.

I love the two tickets to Italy and $40,000.

my fiance couldn't get over what an amazing couple Taran Killam and Jason Sudeikis made.

I was a Boy Scout a long time ago. It seemed pertinent at the time.

Now the organization feels to me like a throwback...works for a "Leave it to Beaver" world, but somehow irrelevant in the "Southpark" culture of today.

They need to totally reinvent the Scouts, or be sucked into religious organizations. I don't think there's a Scout troop in Bozeman that isn't basically affiliated with one church or another.

Glad they voted as they did, but they'll need to do a hell of a lot more to become relevant.

• 2 years later...

Officially the Latter Day Church isn't happy (whose members account for a 17% of all scouts and an even higher percentage of troops). They may very well be posturing before caving, but evidently the BSA vote was done during the time of year when most weren't meeting. Requested delay. Didn't get. Lost vote. Oops.

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/church-re-evaluating-scouting-program

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 1