XBox One Available For Pre-Order

TMoney

I have my own problems with accepting the DRM and cutting out the whole used game business. The always online thing doesn't bother me, a lot of PC games do this already.

That being said, i got goosebumps during the Halo trailer and pre-ordered a One on Amazon.

Just the fact that the WiiU plays all Wii games makes it not a fail for someone with a preteen boy that does not need to be playing games about killing people or other humanoids.

I am a huge Nintendo franchise fan and agree. The next SSB game and Zelda game will be all I need to call the Wii U a success :)

Just the fact that the WiiU plays all Wii games makes it not a fail for someone with a preteen boy that does not need to be playing games about killing people or other humanoids.

You have a great point. Maybe I should go WiiU anyway. I do like my Wii and the simpler less violent games.... The boys will be playing it before I know it.

Yeah. I am also wow'ed by Sony.

Microsoft left the door cracked and Sony walked right through it. I wasn't considering a PS4 before but watching that press conference after work last night made me sit up and take notice.

MS now needs to either explain why their system will sell at a premium or drop their price to match.

I'm going to hold on to mine for now in hopes that Microsoft can do some explaining in the next 5 months before they launch.

As far as I see it, PS4 comes out of E3 with three big feathers in its cap.

1) It doesn't need to be online all the time.

2) It can play used games. (Maybe, Sony seemed to backtrack and say it was up to the publisher).

3) It costs $100 less.

Of the three, only the $100 cheaper price point really matters to me. Having a PC I've gotten used to being online all the time and there is no such thing as a used game on Steam. The $100 is a pretty big deal though. Psychologically $500 for a console feels like a rip-off.

In any case, the next five months will be an interesting race. The cutthroat competition can't be anything but good for the consumer.

Cancelled my order. Not because of the DRM but just because the more I think about it more the WiiU makes more sense.

GT had an interesting interview with the President of Nintendo America yesterday that is worth watching for any potential Wii U buyers. In it, Nintendo states their case for why a consumer would want to purchase a Wii U over the other two consoles.

Part 1

Part 2

Personally I found their case unconvincing, but others may differ. The way 3rd parties are avoiding the Wii U does not bode well for it in the future.

Cancelled my order. Not because of the DRM but just because the more I think about it more the WiiU makes more sense.

The Wii-U is so dead in the water.  Lots of developers have been abandoning projects for it.

I pre-ordered the XBox One, because of the XBox Live experience.  It's far superior to everything out there.  Forza 5 and Battlefield 4 are going to be my two games at launch.  Will pretty much be everything I want.  Not sure about COD: Ghosts.  Might have to skip that one.

2) It can play used games. (Maybe, Sony seemed to backtrack and say it was up to the publisher).

The backtracking was basically in regards to online passes for multiplayer. So it's possible for publishers to require people buying a used game to buy a new key for online play... which is already the case on the current generation. It's not going to restrict regular used game sales like Microsoft intends to with the new xbox.

My impressions from E3 so far are that Sony has learned from their major fumble with the PS3 launch and wants to return to the glory days of the PS2 and it's massive library of good games, and Microsoft is absolutely mired by their desire to exert control over how the consumer uses their product, and intends their new console less as a pure gaming platform and more as an all-in-one media center.

The Wii-U is so dead in the water.  Lots of developers have been abandoning projects for it.

I pre-ordered the XBox One, because of the XBox Live experience.  It's far superior to everything out there.  Forza 5 and Battlefield 4 are going to be my two games at launch.  Will pretty much be everything I want.  Not sure about COD: Ghosts.  Might have to skip that one.

$500 seems a bit just much to enable playing Forza 5, IMO. BF4 will be on pretty much everything... XBox 360. XBox One, PS3, PS4, and PC, and when PC is an option... well, there's the best choice in 98% of cases.

I have somewhat limited experience with the xbox though, so I don't know what's so unique about the "xbox live experience" to make it a significant factor over the redesigned PSN or PC gaming?

Gaming and chatting with friends is a very smooth experience.  Joining people's games, sending invites, partying up, and moving from game to game online is pretty seamless in XBox Live.  Every game with multiplayer supports it, because it's part of the system.

Trying to play multiplayer games on the PC is a fragmented, and frustrating experience since there is no standard.  As a result, everyone still communicates via typing the keyboard.  Um yeah.  No thanks.  Even when playing games on Origin or Steam, friends would barely be on, Origin would crash, Steaming pile of shit wouldn't connect, yadda yadda yadda.  And VOIP was so fucking retarded.  Everyone was using something different every time.  I got sick and tired of installing and trouble shooting so many damned programs. 

With XBox 360, everyone has a headset and microphone, they come with every system.  So guess what?  A lot more people actually talk in the games.  I don't play on the Playstation, so I don't know how many people actually use headsets lately.

Sony's PSN's only advantage was that it was free.  But not anymore with PS4.  PSN was plagued with problems, Sony has a lot of catching up to do.  Microsoft has the entire online social gaming experience down pat. 

$500 seems a bit just much to enable playing Forza 5, IMO. BF4 will be on pretty much everything... XBox 360. XBox One, PS3, PS4, and PC, and when PC is an option... well, there's the best choice in 98% of cases.

I have somewhat limited experience with the xbox though, so I don't know what's so unique about the "xbox live experience" to make it a significant factor over the redesigned PSN or PC gaming?

PC is the worst choice for multiplayer online gaming as I mentioned before.  Sure it looked and played better, but the experience of playing with other people sucked ass.  I have BF3 on the PC, and I stopped playing it a long time ago, because I got bored as shit, since no one talked, there was no common chatting system in the game, only people that talked were in clans and used whatever VOIP program they liked.  And Battlefield 3 is not a lot of fun to play without teamwork.  I ended up playing nothing but Close Quarters because it's basically COD where teamwork is not really needed.  Because on Large Conquest maps, my typical gaming experience on BF3 on the PC went something like this:

"Let's move out!  Hey, come back, why did you jump in the jeep and drive away by yourself?  Can I get a lift?  Oh wait, you're waiting for your friend and won't fly the helicopter?  Oh I'm dead, I got killed by the chopper.  Oh, I'm dead again, I got by a sniper.  OK, I'll spawn in, sneak in and take the control point.  Oh wait, where are my teammates?  Oh, I'm dead again, I got killed by the chopper. FUCK!!!!!!!!!!! THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    <turns on XBox 360 and puts in Black Ops 2.>"

My PS3 is a glorified multi-media device as it's the easiest way to get Netflix and Prime Streaming on the TV.  If the PS4 can improve on those features (as well as BluRay playback) I'll probably buy one and move the PS3 to the secondary living room so that I might actually be able to game on it again.  Not that I have any time to do that...