XBox One Available For Pre-Order

TMoney

My PS3 is a glorified multi-media device as it's the easiest way to get Netflix and Prime Streaming on the TV.  If the PS4 can improve on those features (as well as BluRay playback) I'll probably buy one and move the PS3 to the secondary living room so that I might actually be able to game on it again.  Not that I have any time to do that...

This (works well for Hulu+, too). Though I still need to fix the issue with streaming from Mac on mine.

Include me out for XB1 too. I don't want to see consoles going in the direction of DRM, and I don't trust M$ to include all the sales and extra content that Steam does to make you forget that you're paying for a license to play a game on an account, not an actual copy of the game. I want to own my games, not buy a license. Plus, paying extra for Kinect, which I know I won't use and will generally hate, is a deal-breaker. Then there are security concerns with Kinect, which are probably more paranoia than actual concerns, but as someone that hates being on camera, the last thing that I want is to always be on camera.

I don't know what I'll do once Google Glass comes out, heh. Probably avoid public places more than I do already. Privacy is obsolete.

Besides, I play QuakeLive, which means keyboard + mouse. Playing shooters on a controller is about as fun as a dental appointment.

I want to own my games, not buy a license. 

For what its worth, people said the same thing about movies a few years ago.

Now, in the age of netflix steaming, apple tv and amazon instant it has been more than 2 years since the last time I actually bought a bluray or DVD. Heck, Best Buy is slowly going out of business because of stuff like this. I could really care less about whether I own the movie or just a license and I feel pretty much the same way about games.

I think people will eventually come to view games largely the same way. My guess is that it's the $60 price point (as opposed to < $20 for movies) that throws people off? Once the tide begins to turn on purchases of physical games it'll be time to start shorting the stock of GameStop and whatever remains of Best Buy.

In any case, as long as Microsoft's digital game service is similar in functionality to steam I will be a happy camper.

Microsoft is ahead of the curve on this one. Only time will tell whether they are too far ahead for their own good.

Edited by TMoney

For what its worth, people said the same thing about movies a few years ago.

Now, in the age of netflix steaming, apple tv and amazon instant it has been more than 2 years since the last time I actually bought a bluray or DVD. Heck, Best Buy is slowly going out of business because of stuff like this. I could really care less about whether I own the movie or just a license and I feel pretty much the same way about games.

I think people will eventually come to view games largely the same way. My guess is that it's the $60 price point (as opposed to < $20 for movies) that throws people off? Once the tide begins to turn on purchases of physical games it'll be time to start shorting the stock of GameStop and whatever remains of Best Buy.

In any case, as long as Microsoft's digital game service is similar in functionality to steam I will be a happy camper.

Microsoft is ahead of the curve on this one. Only time will tell whether they are too far ahead for their own good.

It's not quite the same thing. The use you get out of a movie is significantly limited compared to the use you get out of a game. Yes, a lot of modern single-player games are very cinematic, and usually have a short campaign that, once you're done with it, offers no real replay value. But for games that do offer a replay value, and for games that you would want to come back to, time and again, you will want the ability to play anywhere, regardless of having an online connection or being tied to an account.

I've lost count of the times I couldn't play the single-player games I paid for on Steam because Steam failed to save my authentication data properly and I had to connect to re-authenticate, at a time or place where I had no connection. It has completely soured me on Steam, and I make a point to not buy something that's tied to Steam or any kind of DRM if I can.

Some people will get over it. Some people will not. PC gaming is not doing as well as it could. I wonder if creating an environment that punishes paying customers with needless restrictions and abusive business models has anything to do with that, when there's a cheaper, less hassle-ridden alternative nearby. And to get back to the the original issue with the XB1, it looks like PC hassles are migrating there too, and that's what I don't want to see.

Yeah, Steam and Origin piss me off to no end.  XBox One's version of Live will likely piss me off to some degree, but not like Origin and Steam.  Mainly Origin.  But I only play games on my XBox, so I won't run into the DRM bullshit problems I have with Origin, and many other DRM ridden PC games, that wouldn't install because I had a CD Burning program or Daemon tools installed, bullshit like that.

But yeah, Microsoft is getting big brother pushy again, because they've dominated the market.  But I think they underestimate the numbers of casual gamers perfectly content with gaming on iPads and Android.  Probably a big reason for the XBox One's $500 price tag.  They're not going to lose piles of money on each console sold like they did in the past. 

Didn't read the thread too carefully, but... yeah I'm pretty surprised xbox is even in the title, because it's already half dead from what I can tell. WiiU seems to basically have nothing either. PS4 is like the only reasonable option left.

I don't have any kids; I know that makes a big difference.

XBox half dead?  Not going to happen.  Microsoft is the dominant player on the market.  We'll see how well they hold onto that lead.  Hopefully Sony learned their lessons from their failures with the PS3 and PSP.  Very few people are a cheapskate hacker pirated gamers. Those that are outraged by Microsoft's new DRM scheme are a minority percentage of their customer base.  

But I'm hoping PS4 does much better than the PS3.  Microsoft needs a good kick in the nuts to get off of their high horse.  Competition is a good thing.  

But again, I'm more curious as to how popular tablet gaming on iPads and Android are in the future.  I never really took a liking to them, but we'll see if the novelty wears off or not and how it compares to dedicated gaming consoles.

However, Microsoft is starting to integrate tablets with XBox One.  They already have Smartglass, which is nothing more than a retarded remote control and status viewer right now.  But I saw that Dice has Tablet use in mind for the return of Commander play in Battlefield 4, if it's truly in real time, that will be amazing to behold.   

XOne's version of Live would piss me off infinitely more than Steam. At least Steam has an offline mode. I haven't pirated a game in about a decade (I admit I was bad with the Dreamcast as a teenager). I have a plan seeing as how I already have a 4K ready gaming PC.

3uvsub.jpg

The Pre Orders ranking:

United States

Amazon 

1. PlayStation 4 Standard Edition 
2. Xbox One Console – Day One Edition
3. PlayStation 4 Watch Dogs Launch Day Bundle
4. The Last of Us
5. PlayStation 4 Battlefield 4 Launch Day Bundle
6. PlayStation 4 Launch Day Edition
7. Sony Playstation Network Card – $20
8. PlayStation 4 Killzone Launch Day Bundle
9. DUALSHOCK 4 Controller
10. Animal Crossing: New Leaf 

Gamestop 

1. PlayStation 4 Call of Duty: Ghosts Bundle
2. PlayStation 4 Watchdogs Bundle 
3. PlayStation 4 Battlefield 4 LE Bundle 
4. PlayStation 4 Killzone: Shadow Fall Bundle
5. PlayStation 4 Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag Bundle
6. DualShock 4 Wireless Controller
7. PlayStation 4 Madden NFL 25 Bundle
8. KINGDOM HEARTS HD 1.5 ReMIX
9. Xbox One Battlefield 4 Bundle
10. Call of Duty: Ghosts (360) 

Best Buy 

1. PlayStation 4 Standard Edition
2. Xbox One Console – Day One Edition
3. Call of Duty: Ghosts (PS4)
4. Microsoft – Xbox One Controller
5. Watch Dogs (PS4)
6. Killzone: Shadow Fall
7. Battlefield 4 (PS4)
8. Call of Duty: Ghosts (Xbox One)
9. Skylanders LightCore Hex Figure
10. Madden NFL 25 (PS4) 

United Kingdom

Amazon 

1. Sony PlayStation 4
2. The Last Of Us
3. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
4. Xbox One Console: Day One Edition
5. Watch Dogs (PS4)
6. Xbox One Console
7. Xbox LIVE Gold 12-Month Membership Card
8. Nintendo Power Adapter
9. Minecraft (Xbox 360)
10. New Super Mario Bros: 2 

Game 

1. PlayStation 4 Console – Deposit
2. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
3. Xbox One Console Day One Edition
4. PlayStation 4 GAME Exclusive Bundle – Deposit
5. Virtua Tennis 4 – World Tour Edition
6. Official Nintendo 3DS XL AC Adaptor
7. Limited Edition Animal Crossing Nintendo 3DS
8. Limited Edition Fire Emblem Nintendo 3DS
9. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS)
10. Luigi’s Mansion 2: Dark Moon (3DS) 

Germany

Amazon 

1. PlayStation 4 Console
2. The Last of Us
3. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
4. Xbox One Console
5. DualShock 4 Controller
6. FIFA 14 (PS4)
7. Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (PS3)
8. Xbox Live – 2100 MS Points
9. Nebel der Elfen 2 (Free download)
10. Xbox Live – 800 MS Points 

France

Amazon 

1. The Last of Us
2. PlayStation 4 Console
3. Animal Crossing New Leaf
4. Luigi’s Mansion 2
5. Xbox One Console – Day One Edition
6. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
7. Watch_Dogs (PS4)
8. Official Nintendo 3DS XL AC Adaptor
9. Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins
10. DualShock 4 Controller 

Canada

Amazon 

1. Xbox One Console – Day One Edition
2. PlayStation 4 (Sold Out)
3. The Last of Us
4. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
5. OUYA Game Console
6. DualShock 4 Controller
7. Xbox One Wireless
8. Shin Megami Tensei IV
9. Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon
10. Fire Emblem: Awakening 

Amazon takes down Facebook poll after PS4 destroys Xbox One

xbox-fb-ps4-poll.jpg

On June 13th, Amazon put a poll up on their Video Games division's Facebook page asking consumers one simple question; Do you prefer the PlayStation 4 or the Xbox One.
Three days and over 40,000 votes later, the etailing giant has taken down the poll prematurely, as it was set to run until June 20th.

The PS4 absolutely demolished the Xbox One, with 38,984 votes for the Sony console and just 2162 votes for the Microsoft rival.

At this point in the next-gen console wars, it appears Sony has the upper hand, thanks to a more pro-consumer approach.

Sony has no restrictions on used discs being played on any console, does not require online authentication to play single player modes, and costs $399 compared to the Xbox at $499, although that does include the Kinect system, as well.

It looks like gamers actually care about their liberty.

Liberty-shimberty. What most people are going to care about is the $100.

Until Microsoft makes a compelling case as to why they should cost $100 more they are going to suck wind.

While it's true that the gamer demographic is quite vocal online, I have to wonder how much effect it'll actually have on sales. For every gamer that's proudly proclaiming they're boycotting the Xbox One, how many normal consumers are going to end up buying the Xbox One simply because they don't know any better? Brings to mind the fairly recent Battlefield boycotting movement due to lack of dedicated servers. 

Liberty-shimberty. What most people are going to care about is the $100.

Until Microsoft makes a compelling case as to why they should cost $100 more they are going to suck wind.

That being said, I agree that the $100 difference will probably have a bigger impact on sales.

Edited by Nebby

3uvsub.jpg

That's the attitude that lets companies like M$ win.

This should not blow over. Letting it blow over is how we let DRM rule over PC and how we are losing the ability to own games.

What should happen is big losses in sales over practices that you, as a consumer, do not want to see.

Vote with your dollar. If you think "well... I don't like where the XB1 is heading but I'm going to buy one anyway" you're actually supporting where it is heading, and then you have no right to complain. Actually, "right" is an irrelevant concept, but letting your money speak for you isn't.

That's the attitude that lets companies like M$ win.

This should not blow over. Letting it blow over is how we let DRM rule over PC and how we are losing the ability to own games.

What should happen is big losses in sales over practices that you, as a consumer, do not want to see.

Vote with your dollar. If you think "well... I don't like where the XB1 is heading but I'm going to buy one anyway" you're actually supporting where it is heading, and then you have no right to complain. Actually, "right" is an irrelevant concept, but letting your money speak for you isn't.

I am voting with my dollar. I want better games on the PC.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

No real surprise to me, but I guess good news for the folks freaked out by the potential DRM stuff.

The two main points made:

• An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

• Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.