XBox One Available For Pre-Order

TMoney

" just not enough to hear your complaints that we charge more for weaker hardware..."

Last time I checked the specs of the Xbox One are pretty darn close to identical to the PS4 and it does include the Kinect so you are getting more hardware for the extra $100 not less....

Last time I checked the specs of the Xbox One are pretty darn close to identical to the PS4 and it does include the Kinect so you are getting more hardware for the extra $100 not less....

I am heavily biased against Kinect, since I am not interested in motion capture and whatnot, so it would be next to worthless to me.  Having it bundled in with no choice, and my 100 bucks are wasted.  

That, and:  http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-will-not-function-without-kinect-attached

Based on each unit's architecture, the PS4 does have the edge in raw power, which is what my comment was based on.

The good news is, like TMoney has been saying, both consoles are x86, so it is a huge positive for computer gamers (hopefully) in that there will be a huge drop in un-optimized console porting garbage.

Edited by roadtonowhere08

Microsoft Is Removing Xbox One DRM

• No more always online requirement
  • The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
  • All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
  • Authentication is no longer necessary
  • An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
  • All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
  • No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
  • Region locks have been dropped

There you go, they got scared by the geeks.

Edited by Spychedelic Whale

Microsoft Is Removing Xbox One DRM

• No more always online requirement
  • The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
  • All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
  • Authentication is no longer necessary
  • An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
  • All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
  • No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
  • Region locks have been dropped

There you go, they got scared by the geeks.

Look at Knucks' post above  ;D

Edited by roadtonowhere08

I preferred the unlimited sharing with 10 people vs. Going back to the old way of physical disc dependency.  Would've made for a nice Head-case sharing circle.  Wait that just sounds wrong the way I typed that one. 

Great,  so now we have to go back to swapping physical disc's every time we switch games regardless of HDD install.  Fucking retarded.  All to appease the cheapskates. 

Edited by Edwood

Great,  so now we have to go back to swapping physical disc's every time we switch games regardless of HDD install.  Fucking retarded.  All to appease the cheapskates. 

Or just buy the download version of the game and don't buy the disc.

The premise is simple and elegant, when you buy your games for Xbox One, you can set any of them to be part of your shared library. Anyone who you deem to be family had access to these games regardless of where they are in the world...it could be anyone. When your family member accesses any of your games, they’re placed into a special demo mode....most cases would be the full game with a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour....When the time limit was up they would automatically be prompted to the Marketplace so that they may order it if liked the game. 

Ridiculous if true, but who knows if it is....it's just a pastebin posting.

Well, well, looks like the preorder numbers have spoken. It's always funny to see interviews with M$ staff where they say that the always-online component is central to the system, and then have that component taken away within days of the preorder numbers reveal. So much for positive PR.

I think this is a good turn of events. It doesn't address every concern with the system, the main one of course being that it is a less powerful machine that comes bundled with technology that you don't need which has the potential for privacy violations.

I just wish someone would put up as big a stink on the PC over Steam. I don't get why people aren't in more of a rut over Steam. Actually, I do get it, if you put enough sales on Steam you make people forget that they are actually not buying anything.

Of course given Sony's history they very much reserve the right to fuck up everything. I think I'm still sticking mainly to PC, and maybe with a PS4 for some fighting games.

Or just buy the download version of the game and don't buy the disc.

Hopefully, full HDD install is required for all games regardless, disc and download.  But the big bummer is the cloud computing thing won't be standard for devs.  But seems like only for 3rd party devs.  When it's not a standard feature, devs often have to program for the lowest common denominator, which holds back maximum potential.

• 1 month later...

For those of you worried about the new Kinect needing to be on all the time:

From IGN:  http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/05/ask-microsoft-anything-about-xbox-one

Q: Since Kinect must be plugged in for the Xbox One to function, what happens if your Kinect breaks? Like if it falls off the top of your TV onto a hardwood floor or something? Will the console cease to function?

AWHITTEN: Xbox One is designed to work with Kinect plugged in. It makes gaming better in many ways – from the ability to say “Xbox On” and get right to your personalized homescreen, to the ability to control your TV through voice, Smartglass and more. Kinect allows you to search for your content, instantly move between games and your personalized dash and more with just your voice. Kinect helps you pick up and play by automatically knowing which controller you have in your hands. No more need to interrupt your friends game or navigate through multiple UI screens to sign in and tell the system which controller you are holding. It will even bind the controller to the console if its currently unbound – no searching for special buttons! Of course – these are just a few of the system wide benefits of having Kinect. Games use Kinect in a variety of amazing ways from adding voice to control your squad mates to adding lean and other simple controls beyond the controller to full immersive gameplay. That said, like online, the console will still function if Kinect isn’t plugged in, although you won’t be able to use any feature or experience that explicitly uses the sensor.