6NSDpxS.jpg

NIxqSbT.gif

QDcqS4k.jpg

Every day I'm Shovlin'

KnLhOUy.jpg

tNGsMeq.jpg

cGTv9Ey.jpg

oscdw.jpg

Actor Jimmy Stewart's induction in United States Army; Stewart talking to fellow Army inductees on Red Car train, 1941.

uuJqhmn.jpg

An undercover police officer apprehends a mugger on the New York City Subway, 1980.

"In the entire Subway series, one image stands out as incredibly violent. When I saw the exhibition up at Aperture Gallery, I could not help but think, “How on earth did Bruce get this picture without getting shot.” It was taken with a wide angle lens, so I figured Bruce must have been an arms length from the scene.
It turns out that this picture has an added layer of complexity. The man holding the gun is actually an undercover police officer. Bruce was helping the NYPD capture muggers in the subway. He figured since he had already been mugged three times, walking around with two undercover cops might not be a bad idea. They needed a decoy and he didn’t mind the company.
To entice a would-be robber Bruce carried a map, played clueless and carried his camera on his chest (as he usually does). Within a few days someone tried to rob him, except this time the cops pounced on the guy. Bruce turned and fire the only shot. The man was arrested, Bruce got to keep his camera, and the NYPD caught one more thief."
http://www.adammarelliphoto.com/2011/12/five-lessons-from-bruce-davidson/
http://www.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3=SearchResult&ALID=2K7O3RJSJ42A
Bruce Davidson talking about the photographic series.

XtvutlG.jpg

Carbon Based Lifeforms live rig.

yw1iVxm.jpg

5w5juLh.jpg

Gw4mwoc.jpg

NYC was a scary place in the late 70s, and not just on the Subway.  Times Square was a real mess.  It felt so dirty and unsafe.  Giuliani's vision and determination to clean it all up was a remarkable gift to the City and all those to ever live there or visit there forever and ever (let's hope).

Edited by Wmcmanus