The Knuckledragger 3rd Memorial Slow Forum Post

Knuckledragger

Stumbled upon this discussion.

"Is there a word which means "possessing a large gravity well/exerting much gravity"?"

"There is nothing wrong with compact massive object. Physicists use it. –  Peter Shor 13 hours ago "

"Yes, there is. They're unsafe is what's wrong with them. Don't go near them. –  John Lawler 13 hours ago"

Cue:  Yo mama so gravid jokes...

LltJ5UO.jpg

4vEX97W.gif

qSOTsSV.jpg

Dave Clarke

So,

All of a sudden this picture appears on the internet which features me in the studio of Marcus Salon ( a guy that should surely get more credit in the Belgium scene), whilst I was over at R&S for my second single in my career. A lot of you are in disbelief it is me and actually when I look at it, it does seem like a different part of my life.

At that time I was living hand to mouth, my partner at the time was out of work and I was trying to balance the artistic vs. the providing for the home. I was living off 5 pounds a day which had to pay for everything and sometimes it was a balance between toilet paper and tea bags... and as you see by my clothes: fashion wasn't even an option. I could only afford clothes from the army surplus store as they were the cheapest and longest lasting (although you could never get rid of the damp smell no matter how many times it was washed). 

I just had moderate success with my first single on XL (although it would be a long while before the royalties came in, which was normal in those days) and R&S invited me over to record for them, Marcus was to be my engineer. I hadn't been abroad very often and I met Renaat at the airport who zoomed me to R&S Studios (their front room) in his Audi, all exciting stuff. I remember when we got there I was greeted by Sabine who had lunch prepared, I was only used to white bread ("Mother's Pride" as it was cheap) so when I saw all the meat / cheese / and 4 different types of bread, I asked if there were loads of other people joining us. It was just for the three of us I was told. As I said, all exciting stuff.

Anyway I certainly had fun in the studio, working late at night with headphones on, using equipment I could only dream of.... in fact I always wanted to use an Eventide Harmoniser and sound like Hercules in "7 ways to Jack" and here was my chance, as the studio seemed to have everything. I saw an 808 for the first time as well, I thought it was an old Bontempi organ.

So in a way this was the beginning of my journey, a journey where I have always stayed true to my musical integrity. I was young enough not to eat often and strong enough to keep on even though financially it was tough, bruising and humbling, but here I am and I appreciate that every day, along with your support getting me where I am now. 

dc

BpXrkti.jpg

RccyrZc.jpg

5FCP1SF.jpg

0sZ4iOS.jpg

ZAhO6qz.jpg

5ejWR6X.jpg

yEsK7e1.jpg

G5y304A.jpg

mJ0KIM8.jpg

sYFkTvl.jpg

kYTM5Dd.jpg