The Knuckledragger 3rd Memorial Slow Forum Post

Knuckledragger

I've been obsessed with Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams" since the first time I heard it in the early 1980s.  I think it's their signature song.  It sums up the band's inter-relationships, dysfunction and cocaine usage perfectly.  Just about everyone knows the studio version.  Let's take a journey through some live versions.

Live at some major festival, 2015.  I dislike this one the most.  Stevie's voice is going, but that's the least of my complaints.  At this point the band is doing this for cash, and it shows.  Lindsey Buckingham is a smarmy douche his awful personality just radiates out from him.  Also, this live take manages to completely remove the balls from the song's famous bassline.

Live, 1982.  Only plays in the left channel.  Stevie (and the rest of the band) are coked to the GILLS.  Her voice is in tatters, the rest of the band is sloppy.  This rendition is terrible, but somehow authentic.  It really conveys the state of the band in 1982.

Live 1977.  Now this is magic.  Steve's performance here is actually BETTER than the studio version.  At 2:19 she hits the high note so beautifully that it actually causes Lindsey to look over at her for a second.  It's goosebumps inducing.  I can only imagine what it was like to be there at that show.

Oh, and this is a peek in my virtual record bag:

f8q3ahr.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Knuckledragger said:

At 2:19 she hits the high note so beautifully that it actually causes Lindsey to look over at her for a second.  It's goosebumps inducing.  

I just watched the Lindsey Buckingham Behind the Music video recommended by YouTube, and they use that moment as a background image during one of the transitions.  I agree with you, it’s a very special moment.

15 hours ago, Torpedo said:

Interesting. Is it you determining the key of the song or that's something done by the software you're using?

It's done automatically and more than a bit questionably, by the software.  I can manually assign key signature values, but I have neither the ears not the training to do so.

Just did some comparisons using my DJ software.  First off, the Goog tells me that the original Dreams is in C major (no surprise there.)

Dreams (Deepend Rework) (key of F) is definitely pitch shifted, hugely.  Mostly for artistic effect.  Stevie is all but unrecognizable.

Dreams (Kaskade & L'Tric Remix) is a tougher one to pin down.  I downloaded KeyFinder and it also thinks the remix is in D minor.  I think the remix might change keys in the middle.  I mixed it with song sin the keys of Am, C and Dm, and none of the mixes really clued me in definitively.  Of course I am the farthest thing from a trained musician.

That's very interesting, I had never realised before that a good DJ should not only take into account the beat of the tunes being mixed but also the key. A badly chosen bassline could make a terrible harmonic mess of two good tunes.

Dm is the relative minor of F major, the only different note from Cmajor is bB vs B, maybe the Dm mix fits better with a Fmaj tune, it all depends on the chord progressions used and to what chords they're resolving.

Edited by Torpedo