The Knuckledragger 3rd Memorial Slow Forum Post

Knuckledragger

Those aren't the WTC towers in the background.  The city in the background is Istanbul, Turkey.   The photo was taken far after Sep 11, 2001.  I'm not entirely sure what buildings those two are.  As best I can make out there are several sets of twin towers in the city. The TAT Towers are the best known:

ersPCkK.jpg

There's also these two:

VCquUvF.jpg

I don't know their name.  Turkish is an impenetrable language. 

The buildings behind the cats might not be either of the above.  There's a lot "twin tower" like buildings in Istanbul:

Wai4pPt.jpg

There's really no other place to go with this post except here:

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

The unfortunate thing Grahame is that diagram is so very realistic. Particularly the bit about Jacob Rees-Mogg.

For those not familiar with the man, you can tell all you need to know by the names of his children:

Peter Theodore Alphege (Peter needs no elaboration. St Alphege was an Anglo-Saxon Archbishop of Canterbury)
Mary Anne Charlotte Emma (Mary needs no elaboration. Anne was the mother of Mary)
Thomas Wentworth Somerset Dunstan (Thomas as in apostle. St Dunstan was an Anglo-Saxon 10th century Abbott of Glastonbury Abbey. Born in Somerset; geddit?)
Anselm Charles Fitzwilliam (St Anselm was an an Archbishop of Canterbury just after the Norman invasion)
Alfred Wulfric Leyson Pius (Wulfric from Anglo Saxon Wolf and Rich and Powerful, Pius is a name of several Popes)
Sixtus Dominic Boniface Christopher (Sixtus and Boniface the names of several Popes, and St Dominic a 13th Century Monk. St Boniface was an 8th century missionary)

I absolutely kid you not. He is a throwback to the 15th Century. And has the politics to suit.

I don't understand what that has to do with Brexit, though.

11 hours ago, Dusty Chalk said:

I don't understand what that has to do with Brexit, though.

Because he is head of something called the European Research Group (ERG) which are very right wing hard Brexiters in the Conservative party. Their preferred outcome is to leave without a deal, and for the UK to make its own destiny as a completely isolated entity making its own trade deals. Hence my comment about a throwback to the 15th century. There are 20-odd of them, and they have consistently voted against Theresa May's Brexit deal. The precise number of them is not known, because they are exceptionally secretive about their members and even how they work. But they have been accused of being a party within a party. They tried to oust May a few months ago by registering a no-confidence motion with the 1922 committee https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1922_Committee but was voted down by parliament.

The 1922 committee really has teeth. A no-confidence motion registered with the 1922 committee resulted in the ousting of Margaret Thatcher.

There is even a Wikipedia entry for it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Research_Group

Together with the 16 Democratic Unionist party MPs in Northern Ireland https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Democratic_Unionist_Party_MPs , who in a coalition with the Conservative party,  also vote against May's deal, there is no way she can get a parliamentary majority for her Brexit deal. The Labour Party, the official opposition all vote against of course.

Edited by Craig Sawyers

7 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

Their preferred outcome is to leave without a deal, and for the UK to make its own destiny as a completely isolated entity making its own trade deals. Hence my comment about a throwback to the 15th century. 

First of all, JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!  That’s worse than our conspiracy of one, Trump. An actual secret society?!?!?

But I still don’t fully understand what religion has to do with isolation or isolationism.  Or is it less religion and more throwback?

Because although Rees-Mogg is the chair of this shadowy body, he is a strongly and fundamentally religious (Catholic), to the extent he has burdened his children with multiple religious names. I don't know anyone else that has done that - my wife is a practicing Catholic and she has zero time for a zealot like Rees-Mogg.

This is what he sounds like 

Incidentally, although it is called the European Research Group, its aim is not Research - it is a one-policy group aimed at leaving the European Union with no deal. The use of the name Research qualifies them for grant payments.

The whole of British Government is beset with stuff like that. How about the Star Chamber? Medieval set up, abolished in 1641, but revived in a watered down version during Thatcher's premiership https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Chamber .

Or the Parliamentary Archives, which are the records of mainly the House of Lords back to 1497 (The Commons records were burnt in a fire).

3 million hand written records on vellum, early ones on scrolls, on 5.5 miles of shelving. That corresponds to 16 records a day, 7 days a week for 500 years. And that is just the Lords!

1920px-Parliamentary_archives.jpg

Edited by Craig Sawyers
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Dusty Chalk said:

...so...with Great Britain, then, innit?  I mean, if Great Britain failed at leaving the EU, then they're still part of the EU, aren't they?  Sorted.

Not really, just in some sort of black hole which developed after an infinite loop of nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2