The Knuckledragger 3rd Memorial Slow Forum Post

Knuckledragger

This almost counts for inclusion in Trump Rants, but it relates to the increasingly stupid political situation in the UK. May resigned because she could not get a majority to vote for her withdrawal deal from the EU. So far 11 candidates have put their name forward to take her job, and probably a few more before voting starts. They are all banging on about renegotiating the Brexit deal - and the EU are saying absolutely no way is that going to happen.

The other major party - Labour - are likewise tearing themselves to shreds, and are led by a 1970's style political throwback Jeremy Corbyn. Apart from the anti-semitism row. And yesterday they expelled Alastair Campbell (he was Tony Blair's political advisor and media chief - a real rottweiler) from the Labour Party for voting Liberal Democrat in the European elections.

Here is a sobering statistic. In 1950 there were 2.8 million members of the Conservative Party, and 1 million in the Labour Party (and millions more in "Block Trades Union" votes). Such is the demise of public engagement with politics there are now more members of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSBP) than there are of all political parties added together.

It is an unholy mess, candidly.

Well, I've been saying that will not happen on a number of occasions. But the idea is gaining some traction. I think the thing is that three years ago, there was a simple binary choice - IN or OUT, with a simple majority gaining the day. All that people were were going on, in making the judgement, was based on lies of one sort or another.

Now that the population knows what the full scale of horror actually is, the idea that the whole issue is more of an informed choice.

Regarding lies, Boris Johnson is now being sued for misconduct in public office for his Brexit battlebus slogan saying that we spent £350m a week on the EU and "Let's fund our NHS now!". In fact that does not take count of the rebate or other economic elements such as trade, jobs and investment, so our real terms contribution is about half what Johnson falsely claimed. And then he suggested that money would go into the NHS, which was clearly misleading.

And anyway, a fair chunk goes into our contribution to the European Space Agency, CERN, ITER and a number of large scientific research projects. I sincerely hope that noone in the Brexit punch up suggests we pull out of those.

• Sad 1

Sorry for this off topic.

Sincerely I regret that the UK leaves the EU. 

Boris Johnson is a politician, unfortunately that means he is a bastard and a liar. In Spain We have many of their kind.

I hope you don´t feel bad about my opinion please. 

Not at all Jose. For what it is worth I was one of the 48% who voted to stay in the EU, as did the rest of my family. My daughter was in tears when the vote went to leave, and emigrated to Australia. And the daughter of very old friends (a lawyer) retrained in French law and went to live and work in Paris. It is the younger generation who feel particularly betrayed by Brexit.

Edited by Craig Sawyers
  • Sad 2