The Knuckledragger 3rd Memorial Slow Forum Post

Knuckledragger

Cool Story Bro: In the fall of 1990 I got my first CD player.  A Pioneer 6 CD changer that used the removable magazines that were all the rage in the early 90s.  I actually already owned a couple CDs at that point.  The first "CD" I bought was the Led Zeppelin Boxed Set for $60 1990 dollars ($118 in today's dollars!)  The second was one of a series of limited edition CD singles by Iron Maiden.  In 1990 Maiden released their previous singles from the 70s and 80s (vinyl only, obviously) with exclusive B-Sides, 2 at a time on CD.  They were expensive ($16 1990 dollars) but they had a bonus "Listen With Nicko" track at the end.  On said track Maiden's drummer Nico McBrain would explain the history of the two single tracks as well as the B-sides on the CD.  It turns out that Nico is absolutely hilarious and weaves an amazing yarn.  One of the most infamous Maiden B-Sides in "Mission From 'Arry" which is not an audio track at all, but an extended argument between Maiden's bassist Steve Harris and Nico about extending a drum solo.  The proceedings got fairly heated and were surreptitiously record by Bruce Dickinson.  During the argument, Nico used the phrase "oh for fuck's sake, come on kids!" which has been in my vocabulary for 30 years now.  

• Like 8

Not sure where to put this, so it is going here. My wife is the CEO of the charity Brendoncare Foundation, which owns and runs residential care homes throughout the South of England. One of people in their care, Bob Weightman, is now the world's oldest man. He will be 112 on 29th March. He lives in his own flat, and carers pop in twice a day just to check he is OK.

He has absolutely all his marbles intact. The video here is on his 111th birthday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-51656545

Worth playing the interview. And this is a guy who was born 6 years before the start of WWI in 1908.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Craig Sawyers said:

Not sure where to put this, so it is going here. My wife is the CEO of the charity Brendoncare Foundation, which owns and runs residential care homes throughout the South of England. One of people in their care, Bob Weightman, is now the world's oldest man. He will be 112 on 29th March. He lives in his own flat, and carers pop in twice a day just to check he is OK.

He has absolutely all his marbles intact. The video here is on his 111th birthday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-51656545

Worth playing the interview. And this is a guy who was born 6 years before the start of WWI in 1908.

Very cool, Craig. One of my kids was talking about him a few days ago. "Avoid dying." Love that.

Edited by acidbasement