The Knuckledragger 3rd Memorial Slow Forum Post

Knuckledragger

Half an hour of a painfully polite British bloke discussing a late 70s open reel deck.  Cool Story Bro: I have an unrestored Otari MX-5050 that's been in my attic for nearly 20 years.  I was all set to sell it then we got hit with this global pandemic/zombie apocalypse thing.  The nerve!

b4FNZ8s.jpg

Properly restored, these things command well over a grand.  Having moved it a few times, I can say price-per-pound, they're a bargain.

Hey Knucks, I've worked on a few 5050's and they usually don't take very much work to get running pretty well.

You might want to check out some of the threads on the Tape Project forum (particularly the Guides above the General Forum) although a lot of the links are broken these days.

https://forum.tapeproject.com/

Feel free to PM me with any questions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I actually lugged the 5050 downstairs yesterday.  It's no longer in its rack enclosure.  Also, rack rails are sharp AF.  Ow.  Unsure what I'm going to do with it.  Right now it's on the floor, in easy toe bash reach.  I am once again astounded what an absolute unite this thing is.  Also, TI(re)L: the 5050 only speaks XLR.  No namby pamby RCA here.  Since I'm stuck inside for the foreseeable future, I'm gonna dig up some XLR cables, see if I have a reel of tape (I swear there's some Ampex upstairs somewhere) and see if I can make it go.

cIOrnQp.jpg

G0nNzn7.jpg

Cmw8Km4.jpg

NUr0ZTR.jpg

VOuDUR7.jpg

yUjL6kV.jpg

s5yEaXL.jpg

HD4fJAO.jpg

vtScVEo.jpg

fk3NWlC.jpg

Yo dawg...

hbMLVOw.jpg

Even in an apocalypse New Englanders won’t eat Manhattan Clam Chowder.

rDIEmeY.jpg

WiDZQXQ.jpg

The walking dead poster VS the actual Atlanta highway yesterday.

d5q0AMc.jpg

Prescott AZ.

Vfzdh8b.jpg

VHSQUkn.jpg

8Vqvdbi.jpg

C1n3zXR.jpg

IxQdpB1.jpg

FENMeqz.jpg

9idz3sI.jpg

Blue Planet Corporation's studio.

Edited by Knuckledragger
  • Like 1