The Knuckledragger 3rd Memorial Slow Forum Post

Knuckledragger

So my local dealer some time ago had one of these and had a long listening session using the same set of CD's in pairs, one un-treated and one treated in front of us.

We never saw which CD's he would put in first but there were 6 of us that picked out the shaved CD's with almost 80% consistency.  We DID think there was something better to the sound.....

Not truly scientific and true A/B testing, but we were very pleasantly surprised.  The dealer offered to shave/treat CD's that anyone brought (I didn't) that night, and the 4 folks that DID bring them all took advantage.

Edited by skullguise
  • Like 1

I'm from the old days, when we just let our "CDs" go wild. Before we even had a term for Metrosexuals. All of the "CD" grooming just seems a bit ridiculous. Sure, I've had a few "CD" strands get caught in my teeth now and then, but I didn't whine about it. I just persisted 'til the task was finished.

And trust me when I tell you that I've definitely known some over shaved CDs in my day. There aren't enough sequins in the world to cover that kind of shaving rash!

2 minutes ago, swt61 said:

I'm from the old days, when we just let our "CDs" go wild. Before we even had a term for Metrosexuals. All of the "CD" grooming just seems a bit ridiculous. Sure, I've had a few "CD" strands get caught in my teeth now and then, but I didn't whine about it. I just persisted 'til the task was finished.

And trust me when I tell you that I've definitely known some over shaved CDs in my day. There aren't enough sequins in the world to cover that kind of shaving rash!

That was the beauty of the minidisc. You do have the slide the cover over to access the slit, but eventually you get experienced and it happens naturally when you insert it.

• Haha 3

Admission time. I have one of the Autodesk shavers. And I swore it made a difference.

But I then ripped my CD collection to a NAS drive using dBpoweramp, using FLAC lossless encoding. Now dBpoweramp compares your rip, track by track with all other rips in their database with an 8 hexadecimal number checksum (if all F's that is over 4 billion decimal). If it is green, it is a bit-perfect rip as compared with possible a hundred or more previous rips. If it is red, there is a checksum error, even by one bit. Close examination of the offending CD usually revealed a scratch or aluminium layer pin holes. Scratches can be polished out, but pinholes are end of story.

If the checksum is green, then that data is added to the rip accuracy library.

But there was absolutely no difference to the accuracy of the rip whether the disc had been shaved or not.

So like the video shows, it seems that there is no real effect in shaving and black colouring the edge.

• Thanks 1

I was Project Manager for an instrument on board this bad boy 

https://www.esa.int/Science_Exploration/Space_Science/BepiColombo

The Mercury Imaging X-ray Spectrometer (MIXS). Due to get into Mercury polar orbit in 2025 after a 7 year journey. So far two flybys of Venus and two of the overall 6 flybys of Mercury as it brakes on its way in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

(OC) I remember when it happened.

HNlhy2L.jpg

36 years ago today Cliff Burton died in a tragic bus accident. His passing was the final nail in the coffin of Metallica's legacy as an artistically significant metal act. In addition to being the eccentric iconoclast of the band, he was also the counterweight to James and Lars and their near infinite supply of bad ideas. Kirk, bless his little mealy mouthed heart, never had the spine to stand up to the other two. Jason Newsted never had a chance.

The truth is, Metallica's merit has already been plummeting for several years when Cliff died.. While he was the keystone of the band, musically and diplomatically, Cliff was not the only source of brilliance. When Dave Mustaine was in the band, he wrote more or less all the of great Metallica riffs (either used in his original songs, or recycled later.) While Dave is an unrepentant, irredeemable cretinous asshat of mind boggling proportions, he is one of if not the best riff writers in all of metal. When, in 1984, Metallica was more or less the best metal band on the planet, their success was the result of Mustaine and Burton's brilliance.

Edited by Knuckledragger
  • Like 1