The Knuckledragger 3rd Memorial Slow Forum Post

Knuckledragger

pRqRPsW.jpg

9PPMmEg.png

R1YlJxo.jpg

C31qSV9.jpg

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/epstein-portrait-bill-clinton-blue-dress-872203/

You can get your own print for this for like $150.

mHH0nHh.jpg

n9BebXk.jpg

#AccidentalRenaissance

2OVxw3u.jpg

i1vzCS7.jpg

Castle Hill from above, Canterbury, New Zealand.

rPk3BcI.jpg

Cannon Beach, Oregon.

vHrRrXw.jpg

Peyto Lake in Alberta, Canada.  Click for slightly larger.  

• Like 2

Well our kids were born in 1986 and 1989, so definitely not boomers (I'm a boomer). Rob and Helen own their own house. And Liz and Oscar (the Australians) have saved a monster deposit by hard graft and will be buying in the next 6 months.

Rob works as a project manager in major audio visual installations. His latest was the Samsung King's Cross https://www.samsung.com/uk/explore/kings-cross/ AV systems, the most complex bit being this, 4 metre wide curved screen LED display with 0.8mm pixel pitch. The LED modules weigh a ton in total, and each networked module has got 6-axis microadjustment to ensure minimal error in module position.

Centre Stage

Helen works in advanced image analysis for defence.

Liz now works mainly in costume and theatre installation design with some acting

Oscar runs a 15-man arborist company clearing power lines from tree problems (gum trees grow real fast)

So any idea that non-boomers have got a bum deal is certainly not the case with our offspring.

• Like 3

The millennials/zoomers are now in a position where a college degree is more like a high school degree was

40 years ago. Employers want a degree for even entry level stuff that is brain dead work. And they pay

crap. If you don't get specialized, good luck. And with Asian and India degree mills working overtime,

guys with master's degrees show up at job interviews all the time. About 10 minutes into the interview you

wonder how the guy tied his own shoes.Yes, I'm in my 60's. Thank god my kids have it together.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Knuckledragger said:

Be that as it may, the economic realities facing millennials/zoomers/whatever else we're calling them bear almost no resemblance to what awaited baby boomers.

True. That still doesn't make the message any more valid though. If you have the education and skill set these days, though, the opportunities available seem to dwarf those I saw when I got out of school with the US just coming out of a recession.

If one is under 30 and has an education that will actually lead to gainful employment, then one also has (A) student loans the size of Turkmenistan's GDP, (B) intellectual gifts earning a giant scholarship, or (C) rich AF parents.  This is to say nothing of the cost of housing, transportation (the nest major economic bubble/bust is auto loans, you can quote me on this), energy, etc.  As for an economic recession, Ol' Cheeto Dust is getting that warmed up as we speak.  The Fed just lowered interest rates while the economy is still "booming" (generally the opposite of that is the rule) and the FDIC voted to ease regulations (also know as protections) put in place post-2008.  The excrement is going to hit the ventilator, the only question is at what speed are the blades turning.  Also, to be clear, I'm a Gen Xer.  I expect the world to burn, and it has yet to disappoint me. 

...and now some pictures: 

8ilqjCD.jpg

xWtI03a.jpg

6WIYJ07.png

u3Aipo5.jpg

yit8iZP.jpg

gEutX7Z.jpg

Abandoned motel in Arizona.

1P4G9Oi.jpg

Painted Hills, Oregon.

aSA11QV.jpg

Tuscany hills, Italy.