The Knuckledragger 3rd Memorial Slow Forum Post

Knuckledragger

34 minutes ago, mikeymad said:

Interesting work

Very interesting indeed. The other day a friend, kind of audiophile, asked in a group that how is it possible that we have the technology to make such great image restoration but we're still so awfully incompetent to fix older music recordings. I'm still waiting for a reply.

I thought there were a bunch of software tools available to repair old recordings (e.g., remove noise, hiss, pops, etc.), both commercial and for home users.

The Zenph re-performance company found a method to "re-perform" recordings in unrecoverable states of repair, but there hasn't been anything new from them for a few years.

Edited by HiWire
  • Like 1

There have been great improvements with audio repair tools and they are applied as new releases are distributed.

Recent releases of older recording such as the latest Mercury Living Presence are a great example of them.

https://www.plangentprocesses.com/

For recording of historical importance, there is always the question of how far changes should be taken.

For the archiving and re-release of 78 lp's, there are different levels of restoration that fans choose depending on what they believe is appropriate.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, HiWire said:

I thought there were a bunch of software tools available to repair old recordings (e.g., remove noise, hiss, pops, etc.), both commercial and for home users.

The Zenph re-performance company found a method to "re-perform" recordings in unrecoverable states of repair, but there hasn't been anything new from them for a few years.

16 hours ago, ironbut said:

There have been great improvements with audio repair tools and they are applied as new releases are distributed.

Recent releases of older recording such as the latest Mercury Living Presence are a great example of them.

https://www.plangentprocesses.com/

For recording of historical importance, there is always the question of how far changes should be taken.

For the archiving and re-release of 78 lp's, there are different levels of restoration that fans choose depending on what they believe is appropriate.

I didn't know about plagento. Noise removal and speed fixing have been applied for many years, but there's always a price you pay in nuances, dynamics or timbre. I don't know if there's a system that would do to audio signal an astonishing refresh as we see in those Lumiere images.

Zemph sucks. Big time.

Edited by Torpedo

I started using a restoration software suite called iZotope Rx to edit audio about 10 years ago.

It was a real boom since it was so much cheaper than Cedar which had been the standard up till then.

The first few years I hacked the crap out of a lot of poor defenseless recordings but eventually I learned that just because you can, it doesn't mean you should!

In the end, it's all about serving the music.

• Like 1

Thirty years ago today, Carl Sagan showed images of the earth from 4 billion miles taken from Voyager: the "Pale blue dot" He said:

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam."

See Explanation.  Clicking on the picture will download the highest resolution version available.

Edited by Craig Sawyers
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2