The Abyss

blessingx

You guys don't get it. These are the most expensive headphones out there, therefore they're the best. Only the SR-009 is anywhere near the price, therefore it's the 2d best. I just don't get why you don't understand it - maybe that's why people don't post here anymore?

On another note, I find Guttenberg's reviews quite reliable, actually. You just take the exact opposite of what he says, and it's usually true.

• Like 1

You guys don't get it. These are the most expensive headphones out there, therefore they're the best. Only the SR-009 is anywhere near the price, therefore it's the 2d best. I just don't get why you don't understand it - maybe that's why people don't post here anymore?

You forgot the Final Audio Muramasa VIII. That thing costs $8000+ and therefore must be 60% better than SR-009.

Edited by jwzhan

You forgot the Final Audio Muramasa VIII. That thing costs $8000+ and therefore must be 60% better than SR-009.

Except Final Audio never released them into the market as it was discontinued right away on there mentioned release date. 

On the other hand there is a thread on the other forum, few down under folks have listened to it through the LG I think it was, I haven't yet made the trip to listen to these myself but these are reported to be heaps better than the LCD3 and comes really close to the neutrality of the HD800's. There is one person so far that think these surpass the sound of the 009's.  

The one nice thing I can say about this headphone is it has sounded better every time I've heard it.  It is definitely more open sounding and seems faster than the Audeze, but that's not necessarily saying much.  It's missing some layering and texture in the vocal range as well and the tone of some string instruments just sound wrong to me.  Not coupling to the head feels weird at first, but I've gotten used to it by now and its kind of like a K1000 in that sense.  Not worth the price in my estimation and Joe and co initially completely mishandled hobbyists with this one though it seems they're coming around.

From what I can tell these things are marketed more at the "my yacht has its own yacht" robb-report lifestyle crowd.  They just need all the cash registers at the beginning of Pink Floyd's Money to sound realistic and they're good to go.

From what I can tell these things are marketed more at the "my yacht has its own yacht" robb-report lifestyle crowd.  They just need all the cash registers at the beginning of Pink Floyd's Money to sound realistic and they're good to go.

They certainly seem priced at the it's-the-most-expensive-therefore-it-must-be-the-best crowd.

I.E., "this".

So Ultrasones then?  Aren't they just Beats with some shiny added? 

On the other hand there is a thread on the other forum, few down under folks have listened to it through the LG I think it was, I haven't yet made the trip to listen to these myself but these are reported to be heaps better than the LCD3 and comes really close to the neutrality of the HD800's. There is one person so far that think these surpass the sound of the 009's.  

We go through this every time something new comes along.  It's always MOAR BETTAH!!!  than what came before and the people banging the drum will move on as soon as something new surfaces.  This goes round and round and round and...   The truth is quite simple though and very few new products are actually giving us something new.  The Ortho's may be the hot topic but in reality it's the HD800 which is the real star and where there has been proper progress.  It's not perfect but no other dynamic can match it's abilities. 

It also says a lot about the Abyss that it's show with the LG though.  The amp is such a pile of crap that Cavalli should be proud of the mediocrity and it is crushed by far cheaper designs.  Specs are BS too but that's a given with Cavalli.  Hell a basic Dynahi is more than 4 times as powerful and can stay in Class A.

People have been asking us about clone boards but I really don't see the point.  It's the equivalent of cloning that Lampazitor crap when it should just be put to the torch.  Still it is expensive so it must be good...  :palm:

• Like 1

From what I understand orthoheads are excited with what JPS's innovation on the Abyss but the price and marketing (and their early brusque dismissal of actual hobbyists) are big turnoffs.

I may be biased because I always wanted a commercial Stacker with a wide variety of tube rollability, but the LG is amazing with the right tubes, especially with orthos.  Last I checked specs and measurements were done by an impartial third party company precisely so that they wouldn't be accused of lying by people with personal grudges (the fact that this even has to happen in something as niche and obscure as the headphone market is pretty sad.  Drama is warranted when you're a cancer-ridden chemist who makes meth to support the family after you're gone.  When it comes to amplifiers for headphones, its almost tragi-comedy.)  I don't know where the transition is from A to AB, but I can say it does so like my Pass XA60.5 does - it is so seamless I would never be able to pick it out.

I do agree that the LG is not the best showcase for the Abyss though.  It performed much better with the LAu.

Ooops forgot about about LG, that "stacker" pile of fail.  Yet another variation of the same crappy circuit.  I just love how protective Alex was of this circuit when everybody always knew what it was. 

I meant the Lau is the steaming pile of shit though.  A true statement in price over substance. 

Thanks for telling me.  I will now discount what I heard when I actually listened to the unit and promptly get on the group-think haven't-listened-to-it-but-saw-a-picture-one-time-yet-still-feel-comfortable-with-making-unqualified-condemnations train.  Yeah, its expensive.  Its also expensive to make, and more importantly it sounds amazing with a wide variety of headphones.

You really need to understand that this is not Head-Fi. We're not interested in giving you a podium to tout your opinions. We don't welcome all new members with open arms here. We are a group of friends, and we're selective about who we think fits in here. 

If you feel that we are not being fair or open minded as to your favorite amps/builders, you are right. Tough noogies! Stick with that other site.

Thanks for telling me.  I will now discount what I heard when I actually listened to the unit and promptly get on the group-think haven't-listened-to-it-but-saw-a-picture-one-time-yet-still-feel-comfortable-with-making-unqualified-condemnations train.  Yeah, its expensive.  Its also expensive to make, and more importantly it sounds amazing with a wide variety of headphones.

Let me put it to you slowly and in small words F-U-C-K O-F-F.