What are you Smoothifying Now

VPI

Not really with the Vanilla Protein Powder.  Kale still has some dirt flavor but the Spinach is not noticeable at all.  Maybe some after taste.

The powder does overwhelm the fruits as well so you do end up with a lot of vanilla flavor.

Edited by VPI

So I am wondering why Jamba Juice does not do green smoothies? They have carrots and oranges and wheat grass but that does not a true green smoothie make.

If all of the people here are any indication there would seem to be a decent demand for them (I know I would buy them when I am out and about).

Seems like they are missing the boat somewhat by not offering a nice kale/spinach type green smoothie.

So I am wondering why Jamba Juice does not do green smoothies? They have carrots and oranges and wheat grass but that does not a true green smoothie make.

If all of the people here are any indication there would seem to be a decent demand for them (I know I would buy them when I am out and about).

Seems like they are missing the boat somewhat by not offering a nice kale/spinach type green smoothie.

I don't know anything about Jamba Juice but I've never found a commercial smoothie venture that does green, not even the vendors at hippie festivals.

And Dinny or anyone else wanting to get into green smoothies I echo what others said about spinach, its the least offensive taste wise of all the greens. You can cram so much spinach into a smoothie and easily cover it with a piece or two of fruit.

As an example, we were hanging out with some friends and their then 2-3 year old son. We filled the vitamix 75% with spinach, then did apple/orange/banana (my famous "Nothing Too Fancy" smoothie). We handed it to the kid and he sucked it down like it was a milkshake, loving it. He's a pretty awesome kid, given, but if the kid digs it an adult surely can.

Kale on the other hand tastes like dirt, but its a taste I've definitely grown to appreciate. I think after many many kale smoothies my taste buds made the connection to my body, and since the kale makes me feel so good the taste buds have started sending good signals to the brain.

Edited by postjack

My first try at something tonight:

2 cups whole milk

2 tbsp peanut butter

1 scoop cytogainer (40g)

1 cup oats

1 banana

There may be something to this smoothifying thing, not bad for a first try but I think I need to go easy on the banana next time and do some more tweaking.

Tried the same basic ingredients but tweaked. Better milk, more oats, non-chunky PB, and Chocolate Peanut Butter Syntha-6 instead of Cytogainer. It's... amazing. I could keep doing this for awhile without more tweaking. The highs are crystalline, the lows are phat, and the sound is realer than real life.

Tried the same basic ingredients but tweaked. Better milk, more oats, non-chunky PB, and Chocolate Peanut Butter Syntha-6 instead of Cytogainer. It's... amazing. I could keep doing this for awhile without more tweaking. The highs are crystalline, the lows are phat, and the sound is realer than real life.

...and plankton.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Not technically a smoothy but made my own almond milk in the Vitamix today (following this recipe more or less).  I used a strainer instead of a nut bag which was fine except the the pulp was too was to keep and use for anything. 

soaked almonds

filtered water

1/3 vanilla bean (these are expensive!)

2 Medjool dates

too much cinnamon (> 1/2 tsp)

Tastes great except it could use more vanilla bean (maybe 1/2 of a bean), dates and less cinnamon.

Next up:  Horchata

i-pZBJF98-XL.jpg

Edited by shellylh

• 2 months later...

I have been trying to replicate spicy hot V8. Which is delicious but has nearly 700 mg of sodium in 8 oz :eek: (and a bunch of other crap)

This will make roughly 8 oz after another straining

2-3 tomato

2 large sticks celery

0.5 large beat

plenty of spinach

plenty of parsley

1.5 large carrots

1.5-2 jalapenos (do to taste, sometimes I get decently hot ones, sometimes they are completely mild)

another strain with strainer and add pinch of salt and black pepper. More juice consistency than smoothy. Chill, significantly better very cold than at room temp. The color is off being a much darker blood orange, but the taste is quite close.

I have been making a Green Smoothie in my Vitamix just about every morning.

My standard recipe:

Qty's are estimated: couple handfuls of grapes, large handful of spinach, etc...

1 cup grapes

1 Apple

2 or 3 pitted Medjool dates

2 cups baby spinach (sometimes mixed with kale)

slice of lemon or lime w/ peel

sprig of fresh mint

1 tray ice

Delicious, nutritious, refreshing.

Cool, I love that stuff but find it too salty as well.  Must try. 

I assume you took the seeds out of the jalapeno first? 

I keep them in for the heat. My juice machine obliterates them so I don't have seeds in the juice. If you're using a blender, maybe straining should remove them while maybe allowing some of the heat from the seeds to remain in the juice? I am not sure.

I am not too sure how V8 Spicy Hot gets its heat, I could not find anything in the ingredients list. Jalapenos are the closest I have found taste wise (I tried chilli powder, green and red chillis and small amounts of habenero).

I should have added the beet is the most sensitive of all ingredients, it can dominate the flavor if you use too much. A spicy beet drink is no good :laugh:

Edited by deepak

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...

This thread died. 

Bringing it back by reporting on my concoction of frozen strawberries and pitted cherries, chocolate almond milk, almond butter, chia seeds, whole fat organic yogurt, and water. It's not nearly as sweet as the usual smoothies I make, which is good. But I should have used a few ounces less water because it's pretty thin.

I seriously love almond butter and chia seeds in smoothies though. Good stuff.

• Like 1