Buying Tickets To Popular Bands Is A Bag Of Crap!

roadtonowhere08

It's been a while since I bought tickets for a popular band.  Most of the stuff I like I feel lucky if they ever make it to the U.S. to tour, but tickets are easy and cheap to get.  I already saw Pearl Jam during the 2000 tour three times, and they are awesome, but my wife never saw them.  She's a big fan.  For one reason or another, we never made the effort to go see them since 2000.  But this time, I ran it by her, and she was excited.  Cool, let's go for it.

I sat by my computer ready to pounce right at the general sale time.  Yes, I know there was a 10Club presale, but it was a lottery and many got screwed(and I'm not a member, so there's that).  I reload the Ticketmaster page the second it turns 10AM.  The system does it's thing for a minute... and I get friggin' nosebleed seats all the way in the back.  WTF?  I try again.  SOLD OUT?  W... T... F!!!!

I wait for a few minutes and try again.  In the 50 or so times I try for tickets, I am either greeted with rafter seats or loge seats behind the damn stage.  I'm not shelling out almost 200 bucks for shitty seats.

I came across this article that will not surprise anyone:

http://www.thefader.com/2013/03/06/fader-explains-beyonce-tickets/

I am not surprised, but I am still pissed.  Greedy little asses have to have their incentives and crap to make more money.  There's capitalism (which I am fine with), but this is complete crap.  I told my father this, and he recounted his adventures of waiting in line for two days at ticketing windows to see Springsteen and the like.  Yeah, yeah...

I will keep checking back to see if some good ones pop up.  Oh, wait, no I fucking can't:  my IP has been blocked, because the dumbshits at Ticketmaster think I am a scalper or bot due to me trying for tickets a bunch of times to see if anything is released due to CC rejections.  The fuckers...

Edited by roadtonowhere08

That sucks, dude.  Am familiar with it, I've given up on seeing larger bands since ...well (shudders) ... I really am getting old, since I think Pink Floyd's Momentary Lapse of Reason tour was the last one I actually stood in line for, including online (I've tried online, but I've always failed -- now with automated everything, it's impossible to get past the scalpers).  I've seen a couple big ones since then (Depeche Mode, Garbage, Nine Inch Nails, Bowie), but even most of those were in the 90's.  Haven't seen a large concert in years.

I'll still see:  Laurie Anderson, Peter Gabriel, and Blue Man Group every chance I get.

BTW, they're wrong to block you -- most of the scalpers have reverse IP lookup defeats.

I still attend a lot of big shows, and unfortunately everything you've said is just how it is now. Sucks but I've long ago accepted it as reality. Whenever its a show I know will be in high demand, I use an atomic clock app, and don't hit refresh until it hits on sale time. But TM/LN time is never right on with the atomic clock, it can be anywhere from seven seconds to a full minute later. I hit refresh every 7-10 seconds after the atomic clock hits onsale, using the seven second rule I have never been IP banned. Then, whatever ticket comes up, if I want to be at the show, I take it.

I don't usually buy scalper tickets, but when I do, I use stubhub. I've found good seats on there sometimes for just a few bucks over face. If you are willing to pay market (many people aren't and I completely understand), stubhub is legit.

Luckily I catch most of my big name acts at festivals these days, which are easy tickets with a few exceptions (coach and ACL I think). I'll be seeing Pearl Jam and NIN at Voodoo Fest in New Orleans, which is awesome because both of their individual shows are 'spensive.

I have been through that too. Did the whole ticketbastard thing couple years back and later they cancelled cuz the singer was sick. That band is coming back in september and got my tickets. I only get lawn seats at our venue since I don't fit their tiny seats and they stand anyway. Have seen the Wall two times on the current tour. That was great.

Whenever its a show I know will be in high demand, I use an atomic clock app, and don't hit refresh until it hits on sale time.

Really?  I meant to mention -- I did find out that some of the shows sold out because they went on sale early, so I started 10 minutes early in some cases.  (Though back then no-one knew about reverse IP defeats, so I probably ended up getting myself blocked, at least temporarily in some cases.)

If you're on a large internet service, usually all you have to do is reboot to get a new IP.  Or shut down for a bit, then boot back up (give them time to shuffle IP's).

Really?  I meant to mention -- I did find out that some of the shows sold out because they went on sale early, so I started 10 minutes early in some cases.  (Though back then no-one knew about reverse IP defeats, so I probably ended up getting myself blocked, at least temporarily in some cases.)

If you're on a large internet service, usually all you have to do is reboot to get a new IP.  Or shut down for a bit, then boot back up (give them time to shuffle IP's).

At least in my experience, when I hit refresh right at the on sale time, they are never on sale then. Usually 7-14 seconds (second or third click for me) after the on sale time. That's just my experience though.

Motherfucker!  I have been IP banned again.  I only tried for tickets seven times during the course of the entire day - and they were all shit.  Is this divine intervention or something?

This is weird, as many times as I've "refreshed" on the ticket screen I've never been IP banned. Do you have multiple tabs/browsers open to the TM/LN page?

This is weird, as many times as I've "refreshed" on the ticket screen I've never been IP banned. Do you have multiple tabs/browsers open to the TM/LN page?

Nope.  I am sure that, compared to some people, I am a tame ticket searcher.  It truly baffles me.  I have never been IP banned before (don't get any ideas, guys ;D ).

I am just not one of those people that will shell out over 100 bucks a ticket.  I don't care who is playing.  That doesn't bode well for the current state of affairs, does it?  :rant:

I hear ya. My wife got us tickets twice back in 2001 or so for U2, and we paid over $100 each, at least the first time. Last summer, out of the blue she decided that we should go see Radiohead, and found some decent tickets (pavilion, not lawn) on the day of the show from Ticketmaster. I thought it had sold out weeks before, but apparently they released some more tickets. So we went, and it was a really good show. We've seen Peter Gabriel twice (mid 2000s, two different tours) and didn't have too much problem with those either. But other times, it is impossible, at least without waiting until close to the date of the show.

Stubhub for us has been at a hell of a premium, and so far we haven't paid it. Garbage was playing in a small(er) venue here, and had sold out. Stubhub wanted at least 50% more over the standard price, so we didn't even bother. I can see Dan's point, in that you can get tickets that would be impossible on TM if you are willing to pay for it.

I never seem to recall having much problem getting tickets back in the '70s. Saw ELP 3 or 4 times, the Mothers once, etc.

stubhub is market price. Sometimes it's way over face, sometimes it's close, and sometimes it's a big discount. Depends on the market.

I've had good luck with day of show or day before show on ticketmaster (and stubhub) as well. Tickets get released, plans change, etc. There's also ticketmaster ticket exchange, which is more for sporting events generally.

What often happens is, the touring company release the space that they will take up with speakers, mixing desk, lighting, and the venue can then release any seats that aren't blocked.  The final doesn't usually get released until just before the show -- sometimes at the beginning of the tour, sometimes the night before, etc.

I've had good luck with that too, but it has to be a show I don't care if I miss or not, because sometimes everyone else knows this too, depending on their popularity on BBs, etc.

• 2 years later...

Not tickets for a band, but actually to a kids show. Was tinkering with the idea of getting some tickets today for a show in March. Tickets themselves are pricey enough at $50 each, so put 3 tickets(2 kids plus accompanying) the total price is a whopping $204 after the ticketmaster fees. F that...not happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys want to see what it costs to see a show in London.  Last two we saw was Mark Rylance in Fanelli and the King, And Winter's Tale with Judy Dench and Kenneth Branagh.  Tickets were £100 each, plus parking, train to London, pre-show meal etc - and you get to £350 total for two (say $500) for two.  And both sold out 8 months before the shows (we're on mailing lists for this sort of stuff and also rock bands)

Seeing a band is cheaper, but not by much for the likes of Peter Gabriel or a stunning Paul Simon and Sting combination. (imagine the best hits of both in a three hour stint without interval).  Both in the last year.

Here Ticketmaster has got the market cornered though.  You want a ticket, you pay Ticketmaster's premium.