Shave-Case: The official HC hair removal thread.

Knuckledragger

Hey That's my rig... :-)

I am just finishing up a sample set of Taylor creams:

http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/taylor-of-old-bond-street-sample-of-14-scents/

I really like the sandalwood - but I think that I will try the Almond (really liked it). 

Also I do recommend a pre-shave oil as well. Really did give me a closer shave and helped prevent nicks and any rashes. I ran out and really noticed much more harshness.

I am just about to order up 100 feather blades as well - should last me about 10 years.

Welcome Bryan - you can never go back...  >:D

• Like 1

Let me know if it's good Mikey...

Shave #2 today. Three passes on both cheeks and neck. Without a doubt, the best shave I've ever had on my neck area, particularly on the left side where the whiskers grow against the grain and I've never quite been able to get at them properly.

It makes me want to fully shave just because it's such a rewarding experience, but I must keep a little facial hair!

btw cuts and nicks are pretty easily avoided with technique. With a modern cartridge razor we've all gotten accustom to using too much pressure in the grip and push down on the handle forcing contact with the blade/face. A double edge really just needs contact without much or any pressure other than the weight of the razor. 

First time I shaved I looked like I fell into a plate glass window and as I lightened up on grip/pressure the shaves are completely cut free. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I decided that my Merkur 80 wasn't quite doing the trick for growth beyond three or four days, so I ordered a Merkur 39C slant bar, also known as the "sledgehammer" in the shave world. It's a little fatter and shorter and noticeably heavier.

You can certainly feel the openness and angle of the comb on the 39C. After one pass I was mostly good to go but a second run-through cleaned it up perfectly. This paired with the alum block is awesome.

Some pictures for comparison...

post-844-14224115034905_thumb.jpg

post-844-14224115124541_thumb.jpg

post-844-14224115221464_thumb.jpg

Ajustable razors (Futur/Progress/Mergress/Slim/etc) are nice if you actually use the adjustments.  The ability to if tune your shave is nice.  Always felt they were a waste if left on one setting which is what I did, so my Mergress is gone.

I like my Above the Tie H1 for a stubborn beard.  

Well thread this is a new discovery!  I've gone back to fundamentals to an extent over the last year.  I too use Sandalwood soap (Mrs S likes the smell, and who am I to deny her?), the soap block not the cream.  One block lasts about a year.

I buy my stuff from this outfit http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/any/Edwin-Jagger/.  Silver tipped badger brush.  Although I use one of their shaving blade handles, it is one that takes Gillette Mach3 refills.

Like this IVRC~1.jpg

Never ever have a rash, and almost never have a cut (and that is only when I lose concentration.

Ajustable razors (Futur/Progress/Mergress/Slim/etc) are nice if you actually use the adjustments.  The ability to if tune your shave is nice.  Always felt they were a waste if left on one setting which is what I did, so my Mergress is gone.

I like my Above the Tie H1 for a stubborn beard.  

I find adjustable very useful depending on the growth of my beard. If it's a week's worth (if I've been on vacation), then the more open 4 or 5 is perfect. If I'm shaving every day then, 1 or 2 is great. Something I can't get with my Merkur HD. But if one shaves consistently and doesn't use it, then it can be overkill. But isn't this the place of Team Overkill?  ::)

Edited by Audiojunkie

Thanks for those videos, Stretch.  Implemented some of the techniques this morning and came away much more pain free than usual.  I do want to try at least some alternate shaving cream and pre-shave to see if it'll allow me to shave more frequently.  Right now unless I want major pain and suffering I basically need to let my beard grow for 3 to 4 days before shaving.  Weird, I know.  Not sure I want to switch to a safety razor just yet so baby steps to start.  Where are you guys buying stuff like this?

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some photos of my two safety razors, fusion razor, and badger brush which I had all customised.

post-3092-0-30288600-1425116399_thumb.jp

The safety razor heads are by Above the Tie [ H1 & M1 ], and I had the handles custom made by a local metals engineer using stainless steel and black ebony.

The handle is same with the fusion.

The brush handle was also modified with stainless steel.

The same engineer did the brackets that secures the headband I did to my SR-009's ear cups.

post-3092-0-97576400-1425116546_thumb.jp

I use a fusion razor because I shave my head, and I find that's the safest way to do it.

Three close ups of my brush.

post-3092-0-80572100-1425116687_thumb.jp

post-3092-0-71980500-1425117282_thumb.jp

post-3092-0-25250700-1425117650_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Today I finally gave up on a recent, desultory attempt to join the beardy boys club -- conceding that patchy and grey wasn't a winning combo for me. Went out in style, at least, with a full hot towel and straight razor performance at the original Trumpers in Curzon St. And if there's anything better that doesn't involve either wine or private parts, it hasn't happened to me yet.

• Like 6