Shave-Case: The official HC hair removal thread.

Knuckledragger

Al, I'd probably follow this if I was shopping for a beard trimmer. I have the peanut, as well as a few cordless ones. http://m.thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-beard-trimmer/

After years of being unable to shave, I picked up a Braun 790cc electric shaver recently, and it seems to be working well. Feels really weird not having stubble. 

• 2 weeks later...

The first photo is of a shaving set I got on the Internet, however when the badger knot came off the original handle, rather than glue it back on that handle, I decided to have a similar handle made to one I already have that was done by a local metals engineer, which both are in the second photo.

Those two shaving brushes are on a stand the same engineer did, I asked him to do me that stand because I had a spare piece of black ebony rod used in making my custom razor handles that I've already posted on this thread.

The metal on the stand in the first photo is chrome plated, whereas the new stand is solid stainless steel and quite heavy for it's size, so will probably last a very very long time.

I've yet to glue that badger knot to the new handle, but when I do I'll be using epoxy resin.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Although I started losing my hair in my early twenties, it was around my mid forties I decided to start shaving my head.

Now while I like the look of my head shaven, I don't like the area where there's no hair growing which is now most of the top.

I'm now almost 55 and a couple of months ago I came across something called MSP [ Micro-Scalp-Pigmentation ] which is reckoned to resemble the look of a full head of hair but shaven, and in most of the photos I've seen of those that's had MSP, the results look very realistic.

So after a recent consultation at a hair clinic, I'm going to be having MSP done early June which consists of 3 sessions ending early July. After the first and second session is a gap of 14 days.

When this MSP is complete I will have to shave my head the rest of my life, but that's something I'll be doing anyway.

• 4 months later...

Two photos of the Panasonic ES-LV65-s 5 blade shaver I recently got.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

I decided to get this Shaver because I wanted to try something safer for shaving my head, and I couldn't be happier with it because it shaves almost as close as a wet shave but without the chances of nicks.

Another thing I got from wet shaving was a shiny head, but with the Panasonic it's a matt look.

• Like 1

On 22/07/2016 at 1:26 PM, stax fart said:

I don't have a BHSE or a Bentley but boy I have hair hahahahahahaha

Just joking, I'm 24, maybe at 40's I'll bald.

I like your post stax fart, but don't know where the Bentley came from and I'm 55, but yes I am bald, however I've had Micro-Scalp-Pigmentation done which gives the look of a full head of hair but shaved.

Here's a photo of the back of my head.

image.jpeg

Now looking at the photo I'm sure it's hard to believe I've no hair growing on a very large area of my head, and that photo was taken before the last session of MSP was done, so the look I now have is more dense at the bottom.

In that photo the scabs formed from MSP hadn't exfoliated, so it's look is even a more realistic since that happened.

Edited by Dave R
  • Like 1

I've been using a Feather AS-D2 razor for a couple of years now.  Exceptional build quality typical of proper Japanese work.  Nice weight.

feather.jpg

Tested several blade brands and am hooked on the Feather platinums.  

Preshave oil is a must for me.  The Art of Shaving oil is too heavy and has a bit of a clove smell for those that are sensitive to scents.  Lather & Wood's unscented pre-shave oil is far better and more practical, especially with the mister on the bottle.

I am a big fan of Taylor of Old Bond Street's Jermyn Street Collection for Sensitive Skin.  I started using this a month or so ago and was shocked how good it is, especially for the price.  I don't even bother with the badger brush anymore.  

https://www.amazon.com/Cremo-Astonishingly-Superior-Shave-Cream/dp/B009WQH8SA/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1469507784&sr=1-1&keywords=cremo+shave+cream

It's a game changer.  Their moisturizer is good, but not nearly as good as the shave cream.

Alum block is a nice touch after a shave.  I very much like this Neutrogena product for a post shave moisturizer.  This is for a 3-pack.  Note it has a bit of menthol.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JOLMTMI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HS

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Decided to ask my local metal engineer if he’d do stainless steel handles to my liking for my two safety razors and the Gillette fusion, which he did.

So because I enjoy posting photos, here’s how they look. ?CAEBEEFB-D0C7-47E6-B835-E438C6238F17.thumb.jpeg.aa6a173899f8fed2b1f371e168684ac0.jpeg13005892-0EAF-43B8-A5DF-B3BE82063E82.thumb.jpeg.aeb70be7f02828b9324a73e19c1ad931.jpegA4CC994B-E211-4B81-AE91-8C1650FEFD74.thumb.jpeg.2cdad271a54b166fde64f6d33546bfe6.jpeg

Although both safety razors look alike, one handle is thicker than the other and  the head on one is higher for a closer shave.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

Been using my Above the Tie DE razors and Gillette Fusion for around 7 years, but now feel it’s time for a change.

That change is to an SE razor using Artist Club blades, and the one I’ve chosen is the Blackland Vector, along with its stand.

Should be receiving them within the next few days.

5D2E71FD-4664-45EE-9A76-2AEB7B1695AC.thumb.jpeg.59923435a6a246236444b4e299edf9cf.jpeg

0E6A5AAC-3161-42E3-B47C-754F9D77B461.thumb.jpeg.c37d5369b4e3d10700accf8be89d271a.jpegAD4C1C12-C08A-4489-ACEF-40D972173DEC.thumb.jpeg.1f4065d6c64690c1f070d0f556520c0f.jpeg9AEAEEBB-A529-4BAA-8750-47C0D38767BF.thumb.jpeg.58b6f5dd0b10f6ee67bcedc431dc00e6.jpeg

Edited by Dave R
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...