Montreal, stuff to see & do?

nikongod

Nechama and I will be going to Montreal in about a week because I have never been and thought it could be cool. 

Anyone have any advice on stuff that we absolutely must see or do? 

Anything we must *not* waste our time seeing or doing? 

So far my plans involve photography in the old city, and that's about it. 

We went up there (and to Quebec City) in July, a very good time.

There's an on-off bus tour from Gray Line that's pretty good, we had a pass that allowed us to do it for 2 days.  Stops off at several places, has a tour guide, and buses run fairly often (I think every 15 minutes or so, you can get on anytime with your pass/bracelet; but that may be times during peak summer times).  Was great for a "taste" of many things, and we often stopped for a couple hours at various spots.

We went to the Chihuly Glass exhibit at the art museum, was pretty amazing, not sure if still there (edit: there through October 20th per web site).  The Notre Dame Church and Church at Mont-Royal if you're into that (even as a Jew who's not a big sightseer, I was interested in both).  Walking street near old town waterfront was fun, some decent restaurants and touristy shops.  We didn't go to Swartz's Deli but to another place for the smoked meat - which was corned beef as we know it in US.  Well done, and tasty for sure, but I was a little underwhelmed based on flowery descriptions I had heard previously.

We even enjoyed a local farmer's market (huge) in one of the neighborhoods.

Nechama and I will be going to Montreal in about a week because I have never been and thought it could be cool. 

Anyone have any advice on stuff that we absolutely must see or do? 

Anything we must *not* waste our time seeing or doing? 

So far my plans involve photography in the old city, and that's about it. 

A lot of "entertainment" on St. Catherine Street ::) . Gotta have the Montreal smoked meat and Montreal style bagels. Best food town in Canada IMO with some of the very best deli food out there too.

Edited by Audiojunkie

http://www.schwartzsdeli.com/

Do not fail to enjoy smoked meats. Especially at Schwartz's. Somebody else went awhile back and there was a thread. Homard means lobster and homard festival means cheap lobster so keep your eyes open. Walking around and taking pics will be excellent as well.

Went there on Al's rec, and it was really great. Supposedly celebrity citings are common, but we didn't see anyone. We were with the kids, so did mostly kid stuff, can't recommend that for you. But lots of good French food, if you have some cash to spend! Also, it's just a romantic, European feeling city. So just a nice long walk around town could be nice.  (Nechama is GF? Sorry - I've been away for a bit ...)

• 2 years later...

I'll be heading up to Montreal on March 18th and back on the 26th. Driving up from JFK so the 18th and the 26th are out. I have been granted leave for one perhaps 2 days to galavant around with my camera while the girls are hanging out with grandma and was wondering if there were any lesser known/somewhat easy spots for hiking/landscape photography within a reasonable distance (3 hours driving) of Montreal. I don't exactly know where we will be in relation to the city but it will be somewhere close by. My right leg isn't the most reliable but I can still hike - just don't trust it to hold up on very rough terrain. Don't need a paved path but something that won't completely destroy my knee on the way back. 

Any suggestions?