iTunes Radio

Hopstretch

Have been shit testing this all day and must say I'm very pleasantly surprised. Throwing all sorts of obscure stuff at the wall to see what sticks, and generally the depth of what comes back is impressive.

Happily listening to "Durutti Column Radio" for the last hour or so now without a single skip. Win.

(Must be leveraging off the effort already put into Genius over the last few years?)

Edited by Hopstretch

Been generally surprised at relatively popular stuff not there and more obscure bands that are. All licensing of course. Any definitive info on bitrate yet?

Overall enjoying the hell out of it. Most of last night was a stream of 'hits' based off 'Afternoon Delight.' Everyone was dancing.  

I started with a little Neko Case Radio, and was pleased with the selection I heard.  I will definitely be continuing to use it, though I don't think it will end up negating the need for something like Spotify for me.  I really value being able to hear an entire album.  I had hoped Spotify would save me some money, since I would avoid buying stinkers.  Instead I have found a number of new artists, and while in theory I could continue to listen to them there, I feel the need to buy their stuff if I really like it.  This has been quite detrimental to my wallet.

I like Spotify better because then you can sample an entire album rather than single tracks.  Sometimes those single tracks are very odd choices.  I'll have to try the radio function, but I wouldn't be able to compare it to Pandora or iTunes.  I have Pandora, but I haven't used it in ages.  The last time I used it (over 2 years ago at this point, I think), they made me listen to some really obscure shit, and I couldn't be bothered to try and make a new station.

Ian, don't feel bad -- artists get hardly anything from Spotify, so if you bought something based on hearing it, you are doing exactly as they hope you would.  My only problem is in between artists -- there are artists that I have everything I want by them (e.g. Pineapple Thief), and there are artists I'm just discovering (TesseracT, Periphery, *Shels, etc.) that I have nothing by, but then I get to A Storm of Light, and I know I have And We Wept the Black Ocean Within, but I don't know if I have anything else by them.