Cavalli Audio Liquid Lightning

spritzer

PS: Um, sorry if you did buy the MKI, which we now tacitly acknowledge was crap and, frankly, cannot disassociate ourselves from fast enough. It's a process, you know, and -- uh -- you probably would have just spent that five grand on drugs or something so we kind of did you a favor, if you look at it the right way. 

• Like 1

Yes, the Mk1 which we have always said is exactly the same as the Mk2 except some minor PCB stuff.  It was always completely different though and pretty much crap... horrendous crap that nobody in their right mind should have bought. 

Looking at the available pics the Mk2 is still the same garbage, same cheap PCB's, same parts used, same crap build quality, same non working and dangerous bias supply and I think the Mk1 chassis might have been better.  Hard to tell though without a hands on review but quality steel chassis is better than a cheap alu unit.   

also notice that the whole case is aluminum extrusions. So new chassis again.

at least the tube is much better and lower distortion and wider frequency response

than the mosfet as the voltage gain stage. Now the output stage that sucks

all the power is completely useless.

only one transformer now so there had better be a delay circuit for the high voltage

otherwise the tubes are not going to last very long.

Making it harder to fix makes repairs a profit center

My amplifiers are not intended to be serviced by third party members or DIYers. Registered dealers and my assembly house will have no problem returning the normal function of the amplifier. In HV amps if one part fails there is sometimes other damage. In order to return an amplifier to its original condition, if necessary, the entire board will be replaced. I call this customer service.

In so many words....sounds like you're spot on KG :)

How is charging people for about 20-30 times the number of parts that actually need to be replaced customer service?  It's comparable to bringing a car in for a worn timebelt and have the whole bloody engine changed out.  Fine if you don't have to pay for it but I doubt anybody having the repair done out of warranty would be happy about this. 

That connector BS is why I bought single terminal blocks to make this much easier. 

So those poor sods outside the US who have bought Cavalli amps are really going to be ecstatic.  The cost and time to ship it back half way across the world will be real fun.

They have some dealers too so do the dealers ship everything to Cavalli rather than repair in house?   

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:02 PM

kevin gilmore, on 16 Oct 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:snapback.png

Making it harder to fix makes repairs a profit center

My amplifiers are not intended to be serviced by third party members or DIYers. Registered dealers and my assembly house will have no problem returning the normal function of the amplifier. In HV amps if one part fails there is sometimes other damage. In order to return an amplifier to its original condition, if necessary, the entire board will be replaced. I call this customer service.

In so many words....sounds like you're spot on KG :)

Edited by complin

I've been redoing the input section on the LL as who can use an amp without loopouts?  So when I was removing those useless GRFA sockets a nice Cavalli feature was revealed, no earth connection on the right RCA socket.  The wire was there but nobody bothered to solder it in....  No shared ground either for the two channels so it was floating all the way to the amp PCB. 

I also got some parts in so some more PSU upgrades soon.  Large film caps on the output and some local bypass on the amp board should help this pile of fail. 

So those poor sods outside the US who have bought Cavalli amps are really going to be ecstatic.  The cost and time to ship it back half way across the world will be real fun.

They have some dealers too so do the dealers ship everything to Cavalli rather than repair in house?   

Probably as all the wires would have to be replaced as well.  It's not obvious from the pics but all the wires are dirt cheap PVC crap and that combined with the tiny lands on the PCB's means all the heat from the iron enters the wire.  This melts the insulation and the wires really need to be swapped out. 

When this stuff gets hot it hardens and cracks. When really bad just falls off exposing the bare wire.

Probably as all the wires would have to be replaced as well.  It's not obvious from the pics but all the wires are dirt cheap PVC crap and that combined with the tiny lands on the PCB's means all the heat from the iron enters the wire.  This melts the insulation and the wires really need to be swapped out. 

"return to vendor for repair" is not uncommon in guru-centric brands. 

Singlepower had the same shit running. If the amp is soldered without being blessed by the guru it may not work properly again. 

*guru may not be strictly the correct word. I have a shitty vocabulary. 

Edited by nikongod