New Pete Millett/TTVJ amp - Apex Teton

shellylh

Yeah, this is very nicely done and please don't compare it to the Studio Six.  Anything that uses 54$ output transformers (for the price of 2 units, not dozens) and is sold at that price can't be taken seriously. 

I also have my doubts about all this TKD 2CP-2500 use as the 601 is being overlooked.  Just as good and with less issues.  Plus it is tiny and PCB mountable.  

ive been following those caps and similar for a couple years now, and they keep getting cheaper. pretty soon i will just get the 600-700v ones and use them as PSU caps in electrostatic amps unless there is some reason not to do this

Is it possible to substitute all electrolytic capacitors? No more recap's? I wonder if one could seal a solid state amplifier with SF6 "forever" at reasonable cost.

I am second in line to receive the loaner Teton that Todd is sending around after RMAF.  If it sounds as good as I remember the Singlepower Extreme sounded before mine blew up, I will buy it.  Yes, $5K is a lot for an amp, but this one appears to be built to last.  

I also have a prototype version of the L-2 coming in from ECP Audio in the next couple of weeks (thanks Doug), and will also be comparing the Teton to the Eddie Current Super 7. I would be happy to post impressions if any of you jaded Head-Case regulars are interested.

• 2 months later...

Well, I have had the loaner for a week and called Todd yesterday to buy one. The amp is a great match with the HD800. It also sounds shockingly good as a preamp considering the price, easily beating my Aesthetix Calypso. If they removed the headphone jack and just called it a preamp, they would probably sell a lot more units. Kudos to Pete and Todd.

• Like 1