Sony NW-ZX1: 35th Walkman Aniv. model with 128 GB on Board & 24/192 capable

purk

http://www.slashgear.com/sony-walkman-nw-zx1-and-nw-f880-series-media-players-land-in-october-25299077/

I own the F807 which is a predecessor to the F880 and really love the sound with my JH13pro.  I've been waiting for awhile now for such player.  Hope to get one in December.  I know that portable stuffs aren't too popular over here but this is an exciting news for sure.

24/192...want!

The ZX1 is likely a Japanese domestic product only.  Still, we should be able to import it using PJ.  The F886 (32GB) should be available in the USA though.  If we are lucky the F887 (64GB) might make it here to the North American market as well.  

Yeah, that's what the article said.  It wouldn't be the first product I bought internationally.  Borders schmorders.  (If I were actually in the market to buy anything, that is -- entirely hypothetically.)

I just wish it did DSD -- I mean, it is Sony.

Not sure if they will release the DSD support or not, but they should though given Sony's growing DSD music site.  Given the amount of 24/96 & 24/192 that I have, I'll be okay without it.  The ZX1 is said to have digital output as well though.  

They have just released the PCM-D100 recorder with DSD recording and playback. It does not fit in a pocket though.
Perhaps they will update the PCM-M10 with DSD. 
I do not know if such recorders have digital headphone amplifiers.

Doubt it will have a digital amp module.  I have been following their digital amp modules (S-Master Pro) for a while now.  It was originally introduced in  the Sony STR-DA9000ES behemoth receiver with 200 watts per channel.  Later the scaled down portable version was introduced in the Sony NWZ-X1060 series. The X walkman gained quite a followings as it sounds wonderful and considerably better than i-devices especially with CIEMs.  The second iteration was featured in the next round of released for A86x, Z10x0, and F80x series.  The ZX's digital amp module will be the third generation and it should sound even better.

Doubt it will have a digital amp module.  I have been following their digital amp modules (S-Master Pro) for a while now.  It was originally introduced in  the Sony STR-DA9000ES behemoth receiver with 200 watts per channel.  Later the scaled down portable version was introduced in the Sony NWZ-X1060 series. The X walkman gained quite a followings as it sounds wonderful and considerably better than i-devices especially with CIEMs.  The second iteration was featured in the next round of released for A86x, Z10x0, and F80x series.  The ZX's digital amp module will be the third generation and it should sound even better.

Well, if digital amplifier is a must, hurry up, they have just discontinued the ICD-SX813 (16 bit, 44.1 khz, perhaps a "1st generation" s-master amplifier).

the Sony STR-DA9000ES behemoth receiver with 200 watts per channel.

GMlLFzy.jpg?1

Wow... that is monstrous.

So are the current-gen Sony receivers with the digital amp modules considered respectable overall?

Edited by Nanoha

Nanoha,

That's the STR-DA9100ES, the successor of the DA9000ES.  This particular example was only available in Japan.  The main differences going from the 9000 to 9100 consist of addition of HDMI inputs, Dual i-links, and 32 bit processing (24 bit on 9000ES).  The current crop of Sony receivers use conventional analog amplifier and are good but not great.  The 9000ES & 7100ES (US released) were the last of Sony great receivers according to many. 

Sony is coming back to their own root.  The ZX1 & new F-Series will have dedicate control button along side.  The previous F-80X series do sound excellent to my ears and head & shoulder above my iPhone/iPod Touch 4th Gen.  I used to have the iBasso DX-100 and the F807 that I have isn't far off it either.

• 3 months later...

Did anyone here get to listen to these?

There's a gigantic thread on head-fi but as you would expect it's pretty hard to find proper trustworthy impressions. I'm considering them for my incoming Roxanne, because, among the current crop of not-much-memory-horrible-UI-and-ridiculously-high-priced high-end players, it seems like a very reasonable option.

I am really interested in this player the AK100 has a great interface but needs a pico slim to sound it's best, the 901 sounds absolutely stunning but the UI is a bit wonky and I have a problem that it truncates the first second of some songs. I had heard the Sony has thin bass, I want to order one but there is a 3 week wait and I'm just not sure they'll get it right. Not sure it has DSD playback which would be stupid given Sony's investment in the format

I would wait until the Calyx M debuts before making a decision. Quoted straight from their Facebook page:

24/384 DXD, 128DSD capable.
Full Touch OLED Display, 4.65inch
64G internal, 192G external.
THD:0.00005%
Can be used as a stand-alone asynchronous USB DAC.
141.5 X 70.8 X 14 mm^3
If you liked calyx Femto sound, this is definitely for you.
MSRP: USD999.
International CES 2014, Las Vegas.
Please visit us at 30-221, The Venetian.

I've listened to their flagship Femto DAC for a couple of times so if it's going to have a similar sound (articulate, detailed, and airy) then it will be great.

Edited by K3cT

My ZX-1 has landed and it is one impressive player.  Very near Apple's fluidity in term of operation.  Sound just as good as my Pico Amp/DAC combo if not slightly better.  The sound has better resolution & definition than my modded AK100 player.  The low level details & frequency extension are this player strong suite.  The width of soundstage is superb.

Yes, it has but you will need to buy a proprietary USB output cable or adapter & an IC of your choice.  They can be found cheaply through out the ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xsony+LOD&_nkw=sony+LOD&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Doubt you will need an additional amp though, the internal amp is super impressive with CIEMs such as JH13pro.  The ZX-1 also output digital out via USB.  Sadly it doesn't work with every DAC out there.  So far I got it to work with my Pico DAC/AMP & PS Digital Link III.

Edited by purk

• 2 weeks later...