Sony NW-ZX1: 35th Walkman Aniv. model with 128 GB on Board & 24/192 capable

purk

It's been a busy week at work to say the least!  Got the sony on Wednesday but didn't really get a chance to really listen until last night. My initial thoughts are this DAP is absolutely top notch. Sound is very very good , cleaner and slightly analytical it leans more to the sound of ayre/plinus while the 901 is more meridian/wadia like. 

The interface is every bit as good as the a k100 which is about all we seem to be able to expect out of these devices. I plan to do an iPhone, a k100, 901 and NW-ZX1 compare later (ala headfi wanker style). The iPhone still bests all these devices in pure usability but the sony and the ak do not frustrate too badly. The 901 I love despite the form factor and interface. 

In the end I think sony has charted a course that has them at least as good an interface and form factor than the rest of these products and a sound quality that is in the same league (albeit a different flavor) as the HiFIman 801/901. 

Oh and it is handling Dark Side of the Moon very well not creating gaps between songs!

The hugo and Calyx products should be interesting. The Hugo is more a transportable product needing a transport (from what I have read) but the Calyx could be interesting. 

Edited by jp11801
  • Like 1

It's been a busy week at work to say the least!  Got the sony on Wednesday but didn't really get a chance to really listen until last night. My initial thoughts are this DAP is absolutely top notch. Sound is very very good , cleaner and slightly analytical it leans more to the sound of ayre/plinus while the 901 is more meridian/wadia like. 

The interface is every bit as good as the a k100 which is about all we seem to be able to expect out of these devices. I plan to do an iPhone, a k100, 901 and NW-ZX1 compare later (ala headfi wanker style). The iPhone still bests all these devices in pure usability but the sony and the ak do not frustrate too badly. The 901 I love despite the form factor and interface. 

In the end I think sony has charted a course that has them at least as good an interface and form factor than the rest of these products and a sound quality that is in the same league (albeit a different flavor) as the HiFIman 801/901. 

Oh and it is handling Dark Side of the Moon very well not creating gaps between songs!

The hugo and Calyx products should be interesting. The Hugo is more a transportable product needing a transport (from what I have read) but the Calyx could be interesting. 

Glad you are enjoying your JP.  Let it burn in some as well.  You need to check out its DLNA streaming ability.  I have 500GB battery powered HD that work very well with my ZX1 streaming hi-rez materials.  Beside the limited storage space at around 110GB, I think that Sony earns a solid A in term of design, features, and sound.  

BTW, I also have the AK100 and think that the UI on the Sony is much better.  The AK's UI is still a tad buggy.  It refuses to play some files that play just fine on my Sony.

Edited by purk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

10014125_10152185614313393_3633299685150

It's here!

First impressions are that it sounds much fuller than my trusty old iPod Classic. Also more refined up top, but more bass, more mid-bass, and warmer mids. This is probably a good thing, but with the Roxanne... might be too much of a good thing. I'm still getting familiar with it, but so far I have to say that the synergy may not be what I would consider ideal.

Edited by Leonardo Drummond

purk and Antonio, I did do those things. I've updated it and every single thing that isn't necessary is turned off.

But bear in mind that sounding this full is a good thing in my book – perhaps I should say that it's the iPod that sounds thin –, it's just that with the thick sounding Roxanne, the thinner iPod may give me a better presentation, to my tastes anyway.

And Larry, I know, that's one thing that got me by surprise. One of the reasons I went for the ZX1 (apart from price, memory and battery) is the fact that apparently it sounds colder and thinner than the other TOTL players, judging from what I read. It seems that it may still be a bit too full with the Roxys though. IME, obviously.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty tempted to pick one up in Akihabara, the interface seems much nicer than my fiio x3 and I have seen them as low as ¥56000.

If you can live with the 128GB internal memory...the ZX1 is a stellar player at all counts especially for CIEMs.  I have the X5 right now and the ZX1's interface & UI is so much nicer.   Also don't forget that the ZX1 can stream loosless & hi-rez files from the wifi drive too...so space is less of an issue.

Edited by purk

While at it ask him to get the screen protector as well as a USB OTG cable specially made for the ZX1 as well.  The ZX1 will output digital out to many DACs (not all) via this cable.  I can look up the exact model number later.  Getting the ZX1 for around $550 is a steal.

• 7 months later...

Saw it.  Nearly twice as expensive as the ZX1 for longer battery life, better sound quality, and expandable storage option.  It also almost twice as heavy as the ZX1.  The battery life on the ZX1 isn't too great so this is quite welcome. I think I'll continue to use my ZX1 & A17 then.

I'm not liking the price, either. Considering the state of Sony's finances, I guess they're cashing in on their somewhat distinguished audio heritage for fast bucks... no proprietary ATRAC on this puppy.

for a Japanese released, there will be ATRAC Lossless supported though.

I'm not liking the price, either. Considering the state of Sony's finances, I guess they're cashing in on their somewhat distinguished audio heritage for fast bucks... no proprietary ATRAC on this puppy.

If Sony were actually an electronics company, this might make some sense, buy they aren't. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/28/business/global/sonys-bread-and-butter-its-not-electronics.html

I've always struggled to find something that could replace my iPod Classic because nothing seems to outclass it in all criteria: battery life, interface, ease of use, memory, easy sync and convenience. In the portable world, to me, sound quality is just one of many aspects that count. I've had a HM-801, a DX100, a ZX1, an X5 and an AK100 II. I also recently spent some time with a Calyx M. They all had issues and my iPod has survived.

The ZX2, on the other hand, seems to bring all I want in a portable player. But (and this is a big but) at $1.200... I'll have to pass.

I've always struggled to find something that could replace my iPod Classic because nothing seems to outclass it in all criteria: battery life, interface, ease of use, memory, easy sync and convenience. In the portable world, to me, sound quality is just one of many aspects that count. I've had a HM-801, a DX100, a ZX1, an X5 and an AK100 II. I also recently spent some time with a Calyx M. They all had issues and my iPod has survived.

The ZX2, on the other hand, seems to bring all I want in a portable player. But (and this is a big but) at $1.200... I'll have to pass.

I wonder what did you find so lacking about the ZX1 & AK100II?  I personally love the ZX1 as a "do everything very well player".  If you don't need a digital out, the battery is plenty long enough for all file types.  It also support hi-rez/lossless streaming from a wifi drive as well.  I love my AK100 modded too but mainly due to its 288gb storage capacity.