Just bought Stax SR-009 (arrggg) but no amp

Jon L

Well, I got some RCA cleartops for my trusty 007t/ii amp and did the rebiasing, and my SR009 sounds great and real. The new tubes somehow targeted the annoying area of the highs like a bulls-eye and now I'm a happy camper.

Still there are loads of little details I can't detect as well with my dynamics (even the Senn HD800), and I would even call the SR009 silky and sweet. The bass has great transparency too, a real see-through quality, and decent impact

(not thunderous, but certainly very good enough not to feel thin or missing in action at all).

It's a nice delicate sound but somehow the impact and swing-factor is great too, with speed and again, that incredible level of detail now without fatigue.

So maybe someone could chime in about why these tubes make such a difference? Were the old ones just worn out? Was the biasing wrong before? Or are these tubes just really good?

I've got a new respect for this amp.

Food chain: Shunyata Triton power conditioner --> EMM XDS1 cdp --> Steath Sakra IC single ended --> Stax 007t/ii amp (also plugged into the Triton) --> Stax SR009 phones.

Older Shunyata Anaconda power cords (Alpha Helix and VX on digital) used throughout.

My old SR007 Mk1 I had for 7 years never sounded anywhere near this nice or profound from the 007t amp.

I mean, since Justin is ending his run of the BHSE, what else really worthwhile is out there for the SR009 except for KGSS amps that are only sporadically available from private builders?

I just bought the SR-009 which should be here soon.  I have resisted buying them forever because I never really warmed up to its sound signature when I have listened to them, even via Blue Hawaii SE.

Yes, I am a lover of single-ended triode (mostly 2A3 and 45) sound.  I don't listen to stuff with lots of bass of dynamic jump, so these days I'm happy listening to my Stax O2 MkI, Senn HE-60 (woody), and HE Audio 'stat via Stax transformer with my 2A3 SET or EL84 sigle-ended pentode speaker amps.  SR-009 should be easier to drive than O2, so that's good, but obviously, a dedicated 'stat amp will be needed at some point.  

Blue Hawaii SE, hopefully with some tube, cable rolling may be in the cards.  

Listened to Electra, and 009 sounded pretty good and musical, but obviously bass dynamics were not top-shelf.  Then again, I could live with that.  

Dying to try T2 with SR-009.  Others?

You thought about going for a KGST? Or this: Main: Megahertz Audio Guerra. The BHSE is great, I have heard it a few times with my 009s.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I got some RCA cleartops for my trusty 007t/ii amp and did the rebiasing, and my SR009 sounds great and real. The new tubes somehow targeted the annoying area of the highs like a bulls-eye and now I'm a happy camper.

Still there are loads of little details I can't detect as well with my dynamics (even the Senn HD800), and I would even call the SR009 silky and sweet. The bass has great transparency too, a real see-through quality, and decent impact

(not thunderous, but certainly very good enough not to feel thin or missing in action at all).

It's a nice delicate sound but somehow the impact and swing-factor is great too, with speed and again, that incredible level of detail now without fatigue.

So maybe someone could chime in about why these tubes make such a difference? Were the old ones just worn out? Was the biasing wrong before? Or are these tubes just really good?

I've got a new respect for this amp.

Food chain: Shunyata Triton power conditioner --> EMM XDS1 cdp --> Steath Sakra IC single ended --> Stax 007t/ii amp (also plugged into the Triton) --> Stax SR009 phones.

Older Shunyata Anaconda power cords (Alpha Helix and VX on digital) used throughout.

My old SR007 Mk1 I had for 7 years never sounded anywhere near this nice or profound from the 007t amp.

I mean, since Justin is ending his run of the BHSE, what else really worthwhile is out there for the SR009 except for KGSS amps that are only sporadically available from private builders?

the BHSE will still be available for quite a while. after the next run though, i will just have to decide if i should do a final run and use the last of my parts or hold on to them

• 1 month later...

the BHSE will still be available for quite a while. after the next run though, i will just have to decide if i should do a final run and use the last of my parts or hold on to them

Justin, approximately when do you plan to cut off accepting deposits for the next run of the BHSE? I'm debating ordering one, and wondering how much time I have left to decide.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...