RIP someone or another

Wmcmanus

Port Talbot in Wales is home to a massive steelworks and docks, and has a current population of 30-odd thousand. It is not a particularly nice place, frankly. And includes Aberfan, where the coal spoil heap slid into a school 50 years ago killing 116 children and 28 adults. Yet from it has come a stream of first class actors:

Bernard Fox

Richard Burton

Anthony Hopkins

Michael Sheen

No one has any idea why this is the case. But in any event - RIP Bernard Fox.

• Like 6

I posted this as an FB status, but it's relevant here as well.  I had an hour's conversation with my ma. She'd talked to her friend Alan.  Alan is quite a guy.  He went to college with my uncle.  Alan has been a huge success in life.  He runs a company that does (something I don't understand) and has made a small fortune doing so.  All this while keeping his business in the US and employing actual Americans.  He's owned at least two yachts in the time that my mother has lived on the Vineyard (5 or so years.)  On a couple occasions he's sailed in to visit her.  

His wife took her life this week. She hung herself. Suicide by hanging is particularly brutal on those one leaves behind. Someone has to find the body and cut it down. I explained to me mum that I'm familiar with this concept because it's covered pretty thoroughly in a folk song that I had on a Clancy Brothers & Tommy Makem record from about age 4. I still have said record, as well as a clean digitized copy (it has never been released on CD) some saint uploaded to what.cd. There's a moral here somewhere. Listening to folk songs (Irish or otherwise) prepares one for the harsh realities of life.

RIP Dr Heimlich. We talked about him during lunch this afternoon. He was a thoracic surgeon, he had designed his famous manoeuvre theoretically and hadn't ever put it in practice until he was rather old and living at a residence. He saved the life of an old lady with his own hands even retired :)

• Like 4

2016 ain't over yet.  She certainly lived quite a life.  I remember an ad that ran on Nick At Nite, in the early 90s.  It was a promo for Green Acres.  It had a line in it that went something like "Remember, Green Acres stars *Eva* Gabor, not Zsa Zsa.  Eva will not harm you."  I thought it was pretty funny at the time.