RIP someone or another

Wmcmanus

5 hours ago, Torpedo said:

I'm not sure I'm getting the drift, but funnily enough my mother frequently called me Antoine. When I was a kid and my parents didn't want me to understand what they were talking about, they spoke in French, both were very fluent. Probably that helped to open some neural paths in different ways than Jerry ;D. It's a pity all American movies were dubbed to Spanish.

The French are famous for their love of Jerry Lewis.  His movies remained popular in France even as they faded a bit in the US.  So I was joking that maybe you were a little French.  Now I see that you really are! :P

C5D44CA8-5690-45EE-BCF7-C7E71D5296DD-17351-00000BDA28932D50.jpeg

RIP Dick Gregory. Like Jerry Lewis, he veered from comedy and picked up new causes, in his case civil rights and social justice. Also like Jerry, he got nutty and a bit unstable in his later years. Some of those videos are hilarious, of course. 

Edited by Voltron

1 hour ago, guzziguy said:

The French are famous for their love of Jerry Lewis.  His movies remained popular in France even as they faded a bit in the US.  So I was joking that maybe you were a little French.  Now I see that you really are! :P

I didn't know that about the French :rofl: Well, I'm not typical Spanish, that's true.

I don't know if anyone caught the news from the UK that eight were killed on the M1 motorway at 3:15am on Saturday morning. Basically a minibus of holidaymakers was sandwiched between two trucks and cut in two. The remaining four suffered serious injury and are in hospital.

The two truck drivers were charged with multiple counts of causing death by dangerous driving. One driver (I think that was the FedEx driver) has also been charged with being over the legal alcohol limit.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/aug/27/two-men-charged-over-m1-motorway-crash-that-killed-eight-people

RIP the dead and their families.

5 hours ago, Laowei said:

RIP Walter Becker, the guitar half of Steely Dan. 

going to miss Walter in the band so much.

Walter Becker was my friend, my writing partner and my bandmate since we met as students at Bard College in 1967. We started writing nutty little tunes on an upright piano in a small sitting room in the lobby of Ward Manor, a mouldering old mansion on the Hudson River that the college used as a dorm.

We liked a lot of the same things: jazz (from the twenties through the mid-sixties), W.C. Fields, the Marx Brothers, science fiction, Nabokov, Kurt Vonnegut, Thomas Berger, and Robert Altman films come to mind. Also soul music and Chicago blues.

Walter had a very rough childhood - I’ll spare you the details. Luckily, he was smart as a whip, an excellent guitarist and a great songwriter. He was cynical about human nature, including his own, and hysterically funny. Like a lot of kids from fractured families, he had the knack of creative mimicry, reading people’s hidden psychology and transforming what he saw into bubbly, incisive art. He used to write letters (never meant to be sent) in my wife Libby’s singular voice that made the three of us collapse with laughter.

His habits got the best of him by the end of the seventies, and we lost touch for a while. In the eighties, when I was putting together the NY Rock and Soul Review with Libby, we hooked up again, revived the Steely Dan concept and developed another terrific band.

I intend to keep the music we created together alive as long as I can with the Steely Dan band.

Donald Fagen

September 3 2017

• Like 5

RIP Walter, a wonderful note from Mr. Fagen.

Also RIP, from back in June: Don Garber, creator and manufacturer a.k.a. Fi Audio.  He made some unorthodox tube gear.  I am not one to judge technical merits on gear, but I will say that - having heard some beautiful music through one of his higher end preamps and amps driving a large Tannoy system some years ago - it nearly brought me to tears.....

• Like 1