RIP someone or another

Wmcmanus

RIP Hugh Masekela and Joe Frank!

I'd heard a few pieces from Frank over the years like I'm sure many here have but I never knew his name.

I'm a big fan of RadioLab and TAL so I absolutely loved the way that tribute ended with Ira being pissed off at all the people in the future who walk around and have sandwiches and stuff after he's dead. "Fuck them all!"

I will spend some time listening to as much Joe Frank as I possibly can.

Oh, fuck fuck fuck.  Have loved the Fall for many a year, saw them and Luxuria (Howard Devoto, ex of Buzzcocks) some years back, what a show!  And my first job out of college, I used to sing Fall songs walking down the hall.  One of the secretaries used to finish my line for Cruiser's Creek all the time....and a co-worker doing the drumbeat for Eat Y'Self Fitter....too many (really stupid but fun) memories....

I read about his final interview, and loved his answer to this: Who would play you in a film of your life?  "Rip Torn. Oh, he’s dead isn’t he? I’d really like a dwarf. I like things like that."

Cue the dwarf.....RIP to one of my favorites.

And RIP to Jim Rodford...obviously won't gush like I just did above, but lots of great output from him!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

RIP to a family friend's son Jake.  Not 100% sure of age, think early 30's.  Parents are incredible folks who adopted two kids, both of whom had inherited mental issues from birth parent(s).  Older daughter went through some deeply troubled times, drugs and sex.  Now is more settled, back with parents, and single mom holding down a job but still a bit tenuous.

Son was a sweet big lump of a kid in the years I knew and saw him.  But also had issues as he got older, never finished High School, was barely holding down a landscaping job.  Met this cunt of a woman who got him hooked on several drugs including heroin, and had a kid with him.  Woman had I think 3 other kids taken away from her by the state, and spent some time in jail while married to Jake.  The kids got kicked out of their low-income apartment due to rent non-payment, and his parents ended up getting legal custody of the child (who BTW has Cystic Fibrosis) while in their 60's.  Apparently Jake and wife were driving, Jake asked to be dropped off as he didn't feel good and wanted to walk back in the fresh air.  Hours later, having not found his way to where they were staying, wife calls police.  Someone had found Jake just leaning over a fence, dead.  Autopsy to come, but they think overdose given his history especially with her.

So RIP to one of the victims who never got the help he needed, and became just another statistic.  Fuck drugs, fuck mental illness, fuck the systems that don't help these people; and fuck the cunt who got him hooked and took him off even the lowest rung of the ladder.

• Sad 5