RIP someone or another

Wmcmanus

God dammit!

Old friend of mine, one of the first "dad friends" I made, from when our kids went to kindergarten together, died today. He was an older radio dude, had the most amazing booming voice, and had fallen on some rough times. I don't know yet if he went out on his own terms or if it was all the serious medical stuff he'd been dealing with the past few years, but he was a good man. Our kids would do stuff together all the time, but we'd kinda gotten away from each other as though he had 100% custody until his daughter Izzy was 13 or so, she wound up going to stay with her mom half the time. He was in his 50s when she was born, and her mom in her late 20s/early 30s, and not the greatest parent out there. So he was late 60s, smoked a pack a day but quit cold turkey when his doc was like "stop or you're not going to get to see your kid grow up."

Fuck. I feel so bad for Izzy. I lost my dad when I was younger than her, but she's still way too fucking young. Fuck, man... we used to take all the kids out to Fazoli's during the "lean years" because we got 99 cent kid meals on Tuesdays, and they had arts and crafts, and for 20$ we'd feed 4 kids (one more of the crew lived with her great grandmother, b/c her mom was a POS and her grandmother was barely better, but the old French grandmother was fantastic) and spend 2-3 hours hanging out and talking.

Man, this one hurts. Shit, Zoe doesn't even know yet. They had so many sleepovers. We even lived in the same apartment complex (found out after the girls were friends and randomly ran into them when parking was full and had to park at their building.) Fuck.

Edit: Oh, yeah, you guys don't know him. RIP John Johnson aka "Bearski" aka John Thomas. I just knew the dude as "John." Dammit.

Edited by MexicanDragon
  • Sad 9