RIP someone or another

Wmcmanus

Great guy. Saw Swarb at the Nettlebed Folk Club http://www.nettlebedfolkclub.co.uk/index.html with Martin Carthy. Tiny place, and plenty opportunity to meet them in the bar for a chat.

When you consider that the two of them were part of highly successful bands that filled major halls in the 70's - Fairport Convention and Steeleye Span - it was a real treat to see them (and others) in such a tiny place.

Ah Martin Carthy rings bells too. I know Frankie Armstrong's nephew, who has been suitably raised loving all sorts of suitable folk*. He has plenty of interesting tales to tell. Someone with a better memory might even have remembered them.

My only "the famous playing in a small venue"  encounter was seeing Mark Knopfler's Notting Hillbillies at Poole Arts Centre many years ago- oddly brilliant, lots of old blues numbers  and spirituals. Seeing three National Steel guitars on the same (tiny) stage at once was quite something. Something of an uncool thing for a schoolboy to go and see, maybe, but the musicianship on display was well worth it.

* As well as unsuitable noisecore industrial, and weirdly- Eat Static. He loves him some Eat Static along with his encyclopedic knowledge of folk. Go figure.

Edited by Kattefjaes
  • Like 1

Oh wow. One of my heroes, set on a cinder track at Iffley near Oxford, with pacemakers who were legendary runners themselves - Chris Chattaway and Chris Brasher.

Brasher was the guy who founded the London Marathon, and after track running turned himself into a fell runner, both competitively and as a pacemaker.

Bannister outlived both - Chattaway died in 2014 and Brasher in 2003.

The Iffley Road track is still there, about 11 miles from here. It is now a composition track of course - the last cinder track that I ran on was 25 years ago, and that made me understand what a feat a sub 4m mile was on that surface.

RIP Roger Bannister

Oh wow. One of my heroes, set on a cinder track at Iffley near Oxford, with pacemakers who were legendary runners themselves - Chris Chattaway and Chris Brasher.

Brasher was the guy who founded the London Marathon, and after track running turned himself into a fell runner, both competitively and as a pacemaker.

Bannister outlived both - Chattaway died in 2014 and Brasher in 2003.

The Iffley Road track is still there, about 11 miles from here. It is now a composition track of course - the last cinder track that I ran on was 25 years ago, and that made me understand what a feat a sub 4m mile was on that surface.

And this is how he did it, in 1954 

RIP Roger Bannister

One of my favorite M*A*S*H episodes was when he was coaching Radar about Classical music and other things.  To this day, when I hear Bach mentioned, I raise my hand similar to the royalty wave, and say "Ah....Bach"

Great actor, film, stage and voice.....RIP

PS - and fuck cancer....

EDIT: was reminded that the episode I'm remembering was before CEW III joined the cast!  Amazing what my mind thinks/remembers, or doesn't remember!

Edited by skullguise
  • Like 1