RIP someone or another

Wmcmanus

RIP Russ!

The first records I bought were from the North Beach Tower Records in the summer of 1968 (I was 13 and lived in Georgia).

Alices's Resturant and Trout Mask Replica.

Three years later I was back there (without my parents this time on a pot fueled trip from New York state).

I had a few friends who worked at the Tower in Campbell Ca. It was a great place to hang out and some of those guys were lucky to have a place like that to hang their multi colored, multi pierced hats.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, robm321 said:

The one in Campbell was the one I spent most of my time at. 

No shit!

Doug Aguilar was one of the guys that I knew there. He was one of those guys that worked there for a crazy number of years. 

I lived at the Upstart Crow coffee house in the Pruneyard across the street (actually married one of the baristas from there).

• Like 4

No way! I lived nearby on Dry Creek Road. I was in junior high - first year of high school. Spent a lot of time at the pruneyard. I remember when The Garret was there and had an arcade. We used to eat at El Burro, still do occasionally. Very cool! Small world. 

Edited by robm321

RIP the three workers in the Yountville VA.

It's very sad to see folks who do their best to help PTSD victims taken down by the ones they are trying to help.

Having worked at the Menlo Park VA in their "mental health" unit, it's easy to forget that these guys are well trained and more dangerous than the average guy flipping out. 

• Sad 3

RIP Steven Hawking. I worked near Cambridge for about ten years during the 80's and used to see him out and about with his wife (the one he divorced in order to live with his nurse). Of course he was well known then, but not the mobbed famous he became in recent years, particularly after the movie. So people use to just walk by and think "Oh - there's Hawking". He'd lost control of his neck even then, so when he went over a curb his head would flop forward; so he'd stop and his wife would put it vertical again.

He visited the Space Research Centre at Leicester University when I was doing a contract there about ten years ago. Unfortunately the lift was too small for his chair (!) - so he never managed to get up to see our work.

Given his level of disability, it is a real wonder he lived to 76. But absolutely one of the greats. Again, RIP.

Edited by Craig Sawyers
  • Like 4

RIP Dr. Hawking. A remarkable mind, and a remarkable story of perseverance.

Like many here, I've read his book and enjoyed it even if I didn't fully understand its content. I'm not ashamed to say that cosmology is mostly beyond me, but it is a fascinating subject.

I always liked his guest cameo on the Simpsons:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yesterday during Paris-Roubaix, 23 year-old Michael Goolaerts crashed and later died of cardiac arrest at the hospital. At this point it is not clear whether the cardiac arrest was the cause or a consequence of the crash. So sad to see a young person just go from actively participating in such a great event to suden catastrophic collapse.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/43703755

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro