RIP someone or another

Wmcmanus

In Nate's defense (not that he needs it), he did say he had mixed feelings about it.  And sorry, but so do I, I just didn't post about it, because I couldn't think of an eloquent way to say it.  I'm explicitly not saying I don't care or I'm not surprised or anything like that, I just don't know what to say, because then I start thinking about other people in my life that are in the same boat, and start to feel bad about not doing anything about it, but then I have to remind myself that they have to want to get better and...yeah, what Nate said about the novel.

Agree with Jacob.

Everyone has pain, be it physical, emotional, or existential, and everyone does what they can to alleviate it. Every alleviation strategy has risks. Narcotics seem to be a poor choice for pain management, but then it is impossible to understand someone else's pain and what it might drive them to. I think the best we can do is hope that none of us are ever in such extraordinarily pain that something so risky seems like a viable option.

• Like 2

I understand the powerful addictive nature of a drug like heroin. What I don't understand is why someone would put it into their body for the first time, knowing what a powerful drug it is. Of coarse I have chosen to avoid most addictive substances in my life, because I thought early on that I might have an addictive nature, so admittedly I don't know much about it.

Mr. Hoffman first really hit my radar in the remake of The Talented Mr. Ripley, and really became a brilliant actor in my mind in Flawless. I will miss his performances.

Narcotics are an amazing choice for pain management.   

Yeah, see, I don't get this.  Referencing Doug's use of "Dukkha"/"pain", what you said may be true in the future, but I think currently there are too many unknowns and too many  variables for me to safely feel comfortable saying that.  They can be an amazing choice, but they can be an inherently worse choice, too.  That's just not a risk I understand anyone willing to take.  When I read science fiction novels like Richard K. Morgan where everyone takes drugs in the future to "fix" themselves, I laugh, because I know that is so far away.  We're still in the dark ages.  Sure, your own personal circumstances might be such that you've had a lot of good luck with them, but ... well, as a contrasting example, every time my mom took a new medicine...EVERY TIME...(alright, maybe not 100%, but >50%, and I am not exaggerating about that)...she exhibited at least one of the less likely side effects.  And considering her blood runs in my veins...that's just not something I'm willing to even remotely deal with.

And really, heroin?  You'd do heroin, other than it hasn't been available?  Sorry, I'm not going to mince words -- that's fucked up.

The thing is with addiction there is usually not one cause short of someone walking up to you and stuffing a needle in your arm. Every person is different and so are their addiction's, sure there are similarities but everyone has their own causes and reasons. People just like to put labels on it so it's easier to judge and that happens with allot of things and i think it's fucking stupid. Put em in a box! Oh wait there are more who do that? Get a bigger box!

Anyway...

I've struggled with addiction for about 20 years and i have been clean for about 4.5 years now and the only reason i got clean was because i found the reason why i felt i needed it. If you have the willpower and motivation you can fight it but you can never truely win because the battle goes on till you die, i know i have to fight urges every single day but i know myself and my limitations and i found some ways to adapt or make it work for me. For example get addicted to good things. Like good sounding music, working out allot and generally keep yourself busy and be tired at the end of the day. Make your addiction work for you... Like the saying goes an idle mind is the devil's playground and that certainly is true in my case. 

• Like 1

I think it's a testament to how people feel about him as an actor, that has caused this discussion/debate.  When I heard about it, my reaction was sorrow and some anger.  Anger at drugs being the cause, and did it have to be that way.....anger at the loss/wasting of such a talent.....etc.  

Edit: I feel like I am intruding on the tribute to Philip Seymour Hoffman, but...

RalphKiner1953bowman.jpg

Ralph Kiner passed away today.  A baseball legend, and an original broadcaster for the New York Mets.  In addition to his baseball stats, his dating stats are off the charts:

Ralph with Liz Tayor:

wag+kiner+taylor.jpg

Ralph with Janet Leigh:

Slide2.JPG

Ralph with Esther Williams:

kinerwilliams.jpg

Edited by tjkurita
  • Like 1