RIP someone or another

Wmcmanus

RIP Glen A. Larson, creator, writer and/or producer of 'Quincy', 'Magnum, P.I', 'Battlestar Galactica,', 'Knight Rider,' 'Fall Guy', 'Six Million Dollar Man','Alias Smith & Jones', 'B.J. and The Bear', 'Manimal' and others. http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/entry/view/id/842254

Thanks for the years of entertainment (hell I even liked BJ + Bear).

http://youtu.be/mtLpGfRVMtA

Edited by blessingx

I may do the same with his Catch-22, which I've never seen, though it's probably time for another The Graduate viewing too.

"Directing is like making love. You never know if you're doing it right or as well as the other guy." - Mike Nichols

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 1

Nichols -

In a movie you do have control of it, but the thing that you don't ever control after you choose [a film] is the central metaphor that is the movie. It seems to me that, to a greater extent than a play, a movie's artistic success, success as an experience, depends on the power of the metaphor that is the central engine of the movie. If you have a powerful metaphor, if the audience knows why they're there, you can soar very high. If you don't have that metaphor, no amount of cleverness with the camera or talent on the part of the actors can lift it, because the engine that is the metaphor is everything. I believe that now as much as I did when I began.

Is that central metaphor something that you can impose, or is it inherent in the material?

It's in the story—it's as simple as that. The story either contains it or it doesn't. In between there are gradations. There are stories that seem to convey them but can't stand the pressure of the process or confrontation by the audience, and certain metaphors crack under that pressure. I said to [Anthony] Minghella, when I'd seen The English Patient, that I'd never seen a New York audience so still, so absolutely silent, during a movie. It was a very strong experience to be in that audience. And he said, "Yes, well—they sense purpose." That's a wonderful thing to say.

http://www.filmcomment.com/article/of-metaphors-and-purpose-mike-nichols-interview?src=longreads

• 3 weeks later...

RIP Michel du Cille

I doubt anybody else here knew him. He was one of the very best in the business. A side note - Matt Schudel is a former colleague of mine, back in the day, at Sunshine Magazine.

By Matt Schudel December 11 at 7:34 PM

Michel du Cille, a Washington Post photojournalist who won the Pulitzer Prize three times for his dramatic images of human struggle and triumph, and who recently chronicled the plight of Ebola patients and the people who cared for them, died Dec. 11 while on assignment for The Post in Liberia. He was 58.

He collapsed after returning from a village in the Salala district of Liberia’s Bong County, where he had been working with Post reporter Justin Jouvenal. He was transported over dirt roads to a hospital two hours away but died of an apparent heart attack.

Mr. du Cille won two Pulitzer Prizes for photography with the Miami Herald in the 1980s and joined The Post in 1988. In 2008, he shared his third Pulitzer, with Post reporters Dana Priest and Anne Hull, for their investigative series on the treatment of military veterans at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

• 2 weeks later...