RIP someone or another

Wmcmanus

RIP BB. 

I saw BB King at Seattle's Paramount Theater about 10 years ago.  At the time, he was already at the point where he sat on a stool for most of the show.  And I wondered, geez: how long can this guy go on?  Here is is near 80 years old, touring and playing most every night.  Amazing.  He played all the favorites, told lots of stories about other blues legends who were already gone, and made jokes about the number of children he may or may not have had.  And probably the coolest part: here was one of the last major bluesmen in the same room as the rest of us mortals, yet he was as warm and friendly as your favorite uncle.  I'm glad I was lucky enough to be at that show.  

See you on the other side, BB.  

• Like 2

BB helped a lot of artist get their own start. You will be missed Mr. King!

I first saw BB in Anchorage. Couldn't get a ticket, but was told what club he liked to play afterwards. Saw him do a full set at about 6' from the stage of a very small club, for the price of a few sodas.

Favorite BB concert was in Portland, OR. He played with Koko Taylor. Man did they tear it up!

Edited by swt61
  • Like 4

LfY1WAP.jpg

Late last night I heard that Michael Kandel AKA Tranqullity Bass died.  He had just turned 48, IIRC.  Michael was a pioneer of the trip hop sound, releasing some ground breaking 12"s in the early 90s.  He enjoyed some reasonably large success in '97 with his Let The Freak Flag Fly album.  I remember seeing the video for We All Want To Be Free on MTV's AMP that summer.

RIP Marques Haynes, 89, of Harlem Globetrotters fame...

I still remember seeing him, along with Curly Neal and Meadowlark Lemon when I was a kid.  They put on such a dazzling show in those days before basketball was all about dunking.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/23/sports/marques-haynes-harlem-globetrotters-star-dribbler-dies-at-89.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&bicmp=AD&bicmlukp=WT.mc_id&bicmst=1409232722000&bicmet=1419773522000&_r=0

Edited by Wmcmanus

The saddest part about it was that he was killed in a car accident in a taxi from the airport.  He was coming back from Norway where he had just received the Abel prize (one of the two most prestigious prizes in mathematics).   I guess he at least got to have that experience.  

https://www.maa.org/external_archive/devlin/devlin_04_04.html