RIP someone or another

Wmcmanus

That was really good, Steve. So sad though, because despite the obvious shock and surprise and all of the joy that it brought to him, you can also clearly see that the brain damage had set in and he already wasn't himself at that point.

He had regained his title by beating Spinks that year ('78), but it seems that the head injuries probably traced back a couple of years earlier to his 3rd and final fight with Norton in September of '76 at Yankee Stadium, which I remember clearly because it was my 14th birthday.

But it's really hard to pinpoint. Late in his career from age 33 onward, most of his fights went the full 15 rounds, ending with the two very sad fights against Holmes and Berbick when he was only in it for the money.

Those last two fights did untold damage and it just wasn't right. Yet, I don't think anyone anywhere near the condition he was in before the Holmes fight could ever get medical clearance again, so perhaps there may be a silver lining in there somewhere.

Edited by Wmcmanus
  • Like 1

Belated RIP to the second greatest athlete of our time (but certainly the most influential).

I'm certain no one will have heard of this guy, but Chris Moore from the Youtube vlog 'Barbell Shrugged' passed away on Monday. Former power lifter who trained at Westside Barbell in Ohio and later delved in Crossfit (the main focus of the vlog), who brought a lot of unique motivation/experience into crosstraining from a 'strength perspective'. Many of their podcasts are incredibly informative and this was one of the first sources of powerlifting info that helped me get started with changing myself last year.

Married 5 years, with two children under the age of 3, just moved to Europe to begin a new writing career, and lost a significant amount of weight very recenetly.... and gone at 35 years old. You will never know when it's your time...